This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Tired of the same old boring pizza? Want something that looks impressive (especially when you slice into it), is comforting, is kid-friendly and parent-friendly in one dish? This Stromboli Pizza might just be it!
It was cheesy deliciousness. I’m going to call it “healthy” because of the whole wheat pizza dough and vegetables, ok? The recipe below is for the amounts for half kid-friendly (ham and cheese) and half adult-friendly (ham, veggies, and cheese). However, feel free to use your own favorite toppings. That’s the beauty of this recipe.
In fact, what I learned after we ate it last night was that you can easily hide veggies in this dish because it is rolled up and smothered in cheese.
How to Make Stromboli Pizza
Take a look at how easy these steps are. Simply:
1) roll out the dough,
2) add sauce, cheese, and toppings,
3) roll it up, and
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1/2 cup sugar free pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup ham, chopped
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced (about 3 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) organic baby spinach, torn in pieces
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- garlic powder, enough to sprinkle over the top
- Italian seasoning, enough to sprinkle over the top
- 1 1/2 cup Italian Mix shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water (to make the egg wash)
- 1 batch of whole wheat pizza dough
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a large rectangle, about 10 by 14 inches.
- Next, spread the pizza sauce leaving a 1-inch border.
- Then, sprinkle around other items in order listed: ham, mushrooms, spinach, parsley, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, Italian mix cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the border of one long edge with egg wash.
- Starting at the opposite long end without egg wash, roll up the dough into a cylinder, pinching the edges to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of the Stromboli with egg wash.
- Bake until nearly completely golden brown, about 25-30 minutes (mine took at least 30 minutes). Optional: Sprinkle Stromboli with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thickly and serve.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Assemble pizzas with desired ingredients. Roll up. Wrap each Stromboli in foil and place in freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. *Freeze before baking.
When ready to eat, thaw for 24-48 hours in the fridge. Then, bake according to directions. You may have to bake longer if it’s still a bit frozen in the middle.