This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This pizza bread is made with simple ingredients, requires minimal effort, and is a kid favorite! It’s an easy, 20 minute meal that is also freezer friendly. Or, cut it in smaller portions for an appetizer!
What is Pizza Bread?
If you were to search “Pizza Bread” on google, a variety of recipes would fill your search results. There are Panini recipes, Stromboli style recipes, and even loaves of bread with pizza ingredients baked into them.
We hope you’ve landed here because you’re looking to make a pizza, literally on top of bread in the oven. It’s so easy and your people will love it.
Here is a short video to show you what we mean when we say, “Pizza Bread.”
What Ingredients Do I Need?
The ingredients are simple and customizable. Here are the basics you’ll need:
- Baguettes – We like sourdough or Italian baguettes or make it healthier with a multigrain baguette.
- Pizza sauce – Use this sugar free pizza sauce recipe or you can use a thick marinara sauce like Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella cheese – Shredded Provolone or pepper jack would also work. P.S. Did you know you can freeze shredded cheese?
- Your favorite pizza toppings – Uncured turkey pepperoni, bell peppers, banana peppers, etc.
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning & garlic powder – Adds more flavor up on top.
Is Pizza Bread the Same Thing as French Bread Pizza?
The only main difference is French Bread Pizza is made with, well, French Bread. We used baguettes in this recipe but French Bread will for sure work. You’ll just need to add more ingredients since there will be more surface area to cover.
How to Make Pizza Bread
Step 1: Slice & Lay Out the Bread
Slice each baguette lengthwise. To do this, place your hand firmly on the top of the baguette. Use a sharp, serrated bread knife to saw back and forth from one end of the loaf to the other, so you end up with two even halves. Place the halves crust side down on a lined sheet pan.
This is also something the bakery department at your grocery store might do for you. Never hurts to ask.
Step 2: Add Pizza Sauce
Spread out the desired amount of pizza sauce over the bread. If you don’t have pizza sauce in your pantry and don’t want to make homemade sugar free pizza sauce, marinara will work in a pinch. We really like Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce.
Step 3: Add the Cheese
Cheese is a must for pizza, right? I have found that when you shred your own cheese, it’s meltier and smoother. Oftentimes I’ll shred a whole block of cheese and freeze what I don’t use. Here is a whole post about how to freeze shredded cheese, if you’re interested.
Feel free to mix up the type of cheese you use. I know my husband would dig some pepper jack. Provolone would work great too.
Step 4: Add Toppings
Now the fun part! Each person can dress up their pizza how they want it. Topping ideas to provide:
- Bell peppers
- Bacon Crumbles
- Italian Sausage
Top off each pizza with some shredded Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder and you’ll be ready to pop it in the oven.
Step 5: Bake It
Now that your pizzas are prepped and ready for the oven, it’s time to bake them.
We recommend baking them over parchment paper for and easier clean up. Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden on top.
How to Freeze Pizza Bread
It’s no secret we are big fans of freezer meals around here. In fact, we have 2 freezer meal cookbooks, 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions, and even a round-up with 70+ freezer meal recipes that you will love!
So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that we have freezing instructions for pizza bread too! Here is how to make this recipe a freezer meal:
Freeze For Later: Assemble the pizza bread but do not bake. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap or foil. Place in a freezer bag, if desired. Freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, unwrap, and bake as directed. Or bake directly from frozen. It will take 10+ extra cooking minutes if the pizza bread is still frozen.
What Goes Well with Pizza Bread?
Serve it up with some of these fresh ideas:
- Veggie sticks dipped in Southwest Ranch Dressing
- A green salad using one of these Top 10 Homemade Salad Dressings
- Fresh fruit salad
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 2 (10 ounce) baguettes
- 2 cups of homemade or store-bought pizza sauce (or you can use a thick marinara sauce like Newman’s Own Marinara Sauce)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or more if you’d like)
- Your favorite pizza toppings (I used 4 ounces of Applegate uncured turkey pepperoni and some sliced mini bell peppers.)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning, to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
- Garlic powder, to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Slice each baguette lengthwise. To do this, place your hand firmly on the top of the baguette. Use a sharp, serrated bread knife to saw back and forth from one end of the loaf to the other, so you end up with two even halves. Place the halves crust side down on a lined sheet pan.
- Spread marinara/pizza sauce evenly over the baguettes.
- Top evenly with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Next add your desired toppings, such as uncured pepperonis, thinly sliced or finely diced bell peppers, spinach, or cooked and crumbled bacon.
- End with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, a little Italian seasoning, and a sprinkling of garlic powder over the top of each one. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- Slice into individual portions and serve hot.
Freeze For Later: Assemble the pizza bread through Step 6, but do not bake. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and one or two layers of foil. Freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, unwrap, and bake as directed. Or unwrap and bake directly from frozen, until cheese is melted and it’s warmed through. It will take 10+ extra cooking minutes if the pizza bread is still frozen.