This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 3–4 lbs of thawed chicken parts (in my case, necks) (or 2 chicken carcasses)
- 1 large onion quartered
- 4 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 4 stalks of celery, cut in half
- A handful of fresh thyme
- A handful of fresh basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves of garlic
- about 9–10 cups water
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a large stock pot and then lower to a simmer, uncovered for about 2-3 hours.
- Strain out all solids, leaving just the chicken stock.
- Note: Some recipes say to refrigerate overnight at this point, but I didn’t do this.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Place all the ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on Low for 8-24 hours.
- Strain out the solids.
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Let stock cool completely. Ladle in to freezer safe bags or containers and store for up to 3 months.
Pull individual sizes of chicken stock from freezer and let thaw in refrigerator overnight. Use in soups, casseroles, or any meal that calls for chicken stock.