Homemade marinara sauce that is slow cooked in a 6 quart crock pot with just a few ingredients!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Make It Now:
- In large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic for about 30-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the onion/garlic mixture and the rest of the ingredients into a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Stir, cover, and cook on LOW for 9-11 hours (or on HIGH for 5-7 hours).
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
Freeze For Later: Cook the sauce and let it cool completely. Portion into to freezer bags, freezer containers, or mason jars, being careful to leave at least 1 inch of head room at the top for expansion.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the sauce using one of these safe thawing methods. Warm over medium-low to low heat on the stove, or use the microwave.
- Cut this recipe in half for 3 quart slow cookers and for 6 quart Instant Pots (because you need head room at the top to build pressure).