This lean chili is not only hearty and absolutely delicious, but it’s also chock full of fiber, protein, and nutrients. The jalapeño lends just the right amount of heat without being overpowering. It’s perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner and then leftovers for lunch the next day.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil, divided
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (about 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, liquid and all
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounce) cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- Topping for serving: hot sauce, diced avocado, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar, diced onions, salsa, thinly sliced green onion, etc.
Make It Now:
- In a large pan over medium to medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté diced sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes, until just softened. Season lightly with salt and pepper while sautéing. Add sweet potato mixture to slow cooker insert.
- Turn up heat to medium-high. In same pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté the onions, jalapeño pepper, garlic and ground turkey, stirring and breaking up the meat. Cook until meat is cooked through (no longer pink) and onions softened, about 4-5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper while sautéing. Drain off any grease. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Add meat mixture and remaining ingredients (chili powder through black beans) to the slow cooker insert, stirring until well combined.
- Slow cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper amounts. Add hot sauce to increase heat at the end, if desired. Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings (diced avocado, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheddar, diced onions, etc.).
Freezer For Later: Complete recipe through Step 2. Add the cooked and cooled meat and vegetables to a gallon-sized freezer bag or container. Then, add the remaining ingredients (chili powder through black beans) to the same bag. Seal, toss gently to mix, and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw for 24-48 hours in the refrigerator. Cook according to instructions beginning with Step 4.
Instant Pot Instructions: Follow steps 1-2 in the recipe, sautéing the sweet potatoes, onion, jalapeño, garlic, and ground turkey directly in the Instant Pot (using the Sauté function). Press Cancel. Then, stir in the remaining ingredients (chili powder through black beans). Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes with a quick release of the pressure when done.