Make the perfect, healthy hamburger buns using your bread machine. Made with whole wheat flour, these homemade buns are sure to impress!
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups bread flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Add ingredients to bread machine in the order listed and according to your machine’s instructions.
- Set it to the dough setting and let it do its thing! Mine takes 2hrs and 20 minutes to complete the cycle.
- Once dough cycle is through, take dough out and divide up into 8-10 mounds. I did 8 but our buns turned out really big so next time I’ll probably do 10.
- The dough wasn’t too sticky so I didn’t have to use flour to patty the buns up. I rolled them in a ball and then flattened them into a disc shape. (Next time I make them I think I won’t flatten them out as much but allow for more roundness.) Another option is to roll the dough out until it’s about 1/2 inch thick and use a medium-sized drinking glass to cut out circles of dough.
- Place the dough rounds on a well-greased baking sheet with a little space between them.
- Cover loosely and let rise for 1.5 hours or until they have almost doubled in size. I put mine in the oven with the light on to provide enough warmth since it’s winter and our house is cold.
- After they have risen to about twice their size, brush them with some egg wash (which adds shine and browning), sprinkle some sesame seeds on top (optional) and bake at 400 for 13-15 minutes (watch carefully so they don’t burn).
Freezer Meal Instructions:
Bake buns as directed in recipe. Let them cool completely. Once cooled, flash freeze them (in a single layer) on a cookie sheet for approximately one hour. Once frozen, transfer to freezer safe bag or container. Store for up to 3 months.
Remove buns from freezer and thaw in refrigerator overnight or warm briefly in the microwave.