Pesto is one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat. Healthy fats from the olive oil and pine nuts and antioxidants from the basil and garlic make this meal a winner!
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole wheat rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2, seasoned and grilled chicken breasts, diced
- Combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts and cheese in a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the pesto with the cooked pasta and grilled, diced chicken. Top with more Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.