These Crispy Baked Drumsticks are as good as the fried version without all the added fat, grease, and calories. Easy and freezer friendly!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- splash of milk or water
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (regular will work fine)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 lbs)
FOR HONEY MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon honey
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Make It Now: For Crispy Baked Drumsticks:
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Coat a wire rack generously with cooking spray and set it on a large rimmed baking sheet. (I highly recommend covering the baking sheet with foil for easier clean up.)
- Put flour on a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg, milk, and a dash of salt and pepper together in another shallow dish. Mix breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder, salt, garlic, and pepper in the last shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pat the drumsticks dry. Dredge in the flour on all sides, and then in the egg mixture. Then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on all sides. Place the chicken on the prepared rack. Discard any remaining dredging mixture.
- Bake the chicken until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer (inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching bone) registers 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes. Turn halfway through the cooking time.
- While the chicken bakes, mix together the Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve the drumsticks warm with the dipping sauce on the side.
Freeze For Later: After breading the drumsticks, carefully lay them in a single layer in a gallon-sized freezer bag or shallow container with lid. Use parchment paper to separate layers, if needed. Seal and freeze. (Note: The Honey-Mustard Sauce needs to be made fresh. We do not recommend freezing it.)
Prepare From Frozen: Note: You’ll need the Honey-Mustard Sauce ingredients on hand. Thaw over night in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 475°F. Then, follow Steps 4-6.