Crispy Baked Drumsticks
This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Crispy Baked Drumsticks have the texture and taste of fried chicken without all the fat and mess of frying. What a great fake out! I’ve also included a simple and delicious recipe for a Honey-Mustard Sauce for dipping, which adds a little tangy-sweetness to the meal.
We have a thing for drumsticks around here.
If you take a quick browse around our chicken recipes, you’ll quickly see that we have all sorts of recipe options when it comes to drumsticks.
My personal favorite are the 4-Ingredient Drumsticks made in the Instant Pot or made in the slow cooker. It’s an easy cut of meat to work with, they aren’t expensive, and kids love them.
While drumsticks are delicious coming from the slow cooker or Instant pot, these Crispy Baked Drumsticks have that desired crunchy exterior that make the kids think they are eating Chick-Fil-A.
Here is how easily they come together!
3 Steps to Making Crispy Baked Drumsticks
Before you get started, line a baking sheet with foil and place a cooking/baking rack on top. Spray the baking rack with cooking spray.
Step 1: Roll in Flour
After dabbing the chicken with a paper towel to dry them off, give them a roll in a bed of whole wheat flour. You can use all-purpose flour or even gluten-free flour, but whole wheat flour adds more nutrition.
Step 2: Coat in Egg Mixture
Next, they are off to a trip to an egg and milk mixture. You can use a non-dairy milk, if desired.
Step 3: Add the Breadcrumbs
After that, they go swimming in some crispy whole wheat Panko bread crumbs. If you can’t find whole wheat ones, regular Panko or any other dried bread crumbs will work. If you’re gluten-free, try using gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Place them on a cooking rack over a foil lined baking sheet. The foil makes clean up much easier!
(Optional) Step 4: Make our Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
In a small bowl, mix together the plain Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, honey, and salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
How Long to Bake Drumsticks
This recipe cooks at a pretty high temperature to ensure those breadcrumbs get nice and crispy. You’ll bake them at 475°F for about 25-30 minutes. Give them a turn halfway through.
How to Freeze Chicken Drumsticks
Believe it or not, these make a great freezer meal! Just be sure to freeze the drumsticks BEFORE baking them in a single layer in a freezer bag. Divide layers with parchment paper.
When you want to eat them, simply thaw using one of these safe ways to thaw chicken and then bake as directed. You’ll never know they were a freezer meal!
What to Serve with Crispy Baked Drumsticks
If you want comfort food, serve them up with some mashed potatoes and Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits. You can also freshen things up with a Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette, since you’ll have most of the ingredients for it!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
Crispy Baked Drumsticks
These Crispy Baked Drumsticks are as good as the fried version without all the added fat, grease, and calories. Easy and freezer friendly!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 large eggs
- splash of milk or water
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (regular will work fine)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 lbs)
FOR HONEY MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon honey
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now: For Crispy Baked Drumsticks:
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Coat a wire rack generously with cooking spray and set it on a large rimmed baking sheet. (I highly recommend covering the baking sheet with foil for easier clean up.)
- Put flour on a plate and lightly season with salt and pepper. Beat the egg, milk, and a dash of salt and pepper together in another shallow dish. Mix breadcrumbs, paprika, onion powder, salt, garlic, and pepper in the last shallow dish. Drizzle with oil and mash with a fork until the oil is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pat the drumsticks dry. Dredge in the flour on all sides, and then in the egg mixture. Then press into the breading mixture until evenly coated on all sides. Place the chicken on the prepared rack. Discard any remaining dredging mixture.
- Bake the chicken until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer (inserted into the thickest part of a drumstick without touching bone) registers 165 degrees F, about 25-30 minutes. Turn halfway through the cooking time.
- While the chicken bakes, mix together the Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve the drumsticks warm with the dipping sauce on the side.
Freeze For Later: After breading the drumsticks, carefully lay them in a single layer in a gallon-sized freezer bag or shallow container with lid. Use parchment paper to separate layers, if needed. Seal and freeze. (Note: The Honey-Mustard Sauce needs to be made fresh. We do not recommend freezing it.)
Prepare From Frozen: Note: You’ll need the Honey-Mustard Sauce ingredients on hand. Thaw over night in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 475°F. Then, follow Steps 4-6.
Want more Freezer Meals?
Swing by our 70+ Healthy Freezer Meals for ideas! These are well-tested, family-friendly recipes with real food ingredients. Enjoy!
Leave a Comment