This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Not all mashed potatoes are created equally.
Growing up, my parents would always mashed potatoes that were chunky and with the skin mixed in. (This provided more nutrition. Thanks, Dad).
While I am not hating on a chunky mashed potato recipe, sometimes life calls for a luxurious mash. One that is creamy and silky smooth.
Today, I bring you the ultimate recipe for creamy mashed potatoes.
Now I will say, there is a reason these are delicious. You can thank the generous amount of butter and heavy cream for that. That being said, you can easily tinker with the amount of goodness you put into these potatoes.
The first key to the soft, smooth consistency is the type of potato. Use Yukon Gold potatoes, not russet or even red potatoes.
Get your peeler out. You have work to do! Yes, like my father, you could leave just cook them with the peel on and mix that into the potato mix. This does add a bit more nutrition to the recipe. But, I wasn’t feeling it when I made these. I wasn’t smoooooth.
To cook them up, I used the Instant Pot. (Swing by Instant Pot 101 if you want more info on the appliance.)
Since my steamer basket was en route, I just placed my peeled potatoes on the metal trivet that it came with, added 1 cup of water to the pot and it worked fine. I cooked the potatoes at high pressure for 10 minutes and then let them naturally release for 10 minutes. They were PERFECT.
While the potatoes are cooking in the Instant Pot, I placed 10 tablespoons of butter and 1.5 cups of heavy cream in a sauce pan and warmed it until the butter had almost fully melted.
Once the potatoes were done, add them to a large mixing bowl. Top them off with the butter/cream mixture and some salt.
Using a potato masher, get to mashing. And then mash some more. And when you think you’re done, mash 10 more times. Your arm might hurt a bit. It’ll be worth it.
The result: a creamy, silky mashed potato that you will want to have on your table.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 3–4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium-small potatoes)
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (more or less depending on preference)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Peel the potatoes. Place 1 cup of water (or chicken stock) in the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet into the Instant Pot and place the potatoes on top.
- Cook in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes on high pressure. Let them naturally release for 10 more minutes. (If not using the Instant Pot, quarter the potatoes and boil for about 20-25 minutes until they are softened all the way through.)
- While potatoes are cooking, combine butter and heavy cream in a small sauce pan and cook over low heat until the butter is melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, butter/cream mixture, and salt.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until the consistency is smooth. (This took me about 4-5 minutes).