This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Looking for a go-to, easy coleslaw recipe for pulled pork or any other BBQ, grilled, or baked meat? This is it! It’s creamy, slightly sweet and tangy, and has a little punch from green onion and black pepper. You’ll make this dairy-free, healthier coleslaw again and again!
About Our Coleslaw Recipe
Not only is this coleslaw recipe simple–only 5 main ingredients, but it’s healthier than most creamy coleslaw recipes. That’s because it’s dairy-free since we didn’t use buttermilk or sour cream. We also used less mayo than most recipes, and we opted for honey instead of white sugar.
You won’t miss all that mayo or dairy, because the balance of flavors are SO darn good here. I keep it in the fridge and eat on it for days at a time with leftover rotisserie chicken or a sandwich for lunch. It just gets better and better.
How to Make Coleslaw
This recipe is SO easy peasy. Simply whip together the coleslaw dressing in a large mixing bowl.
Keep in mind, if you like yours a bit creamier, add a bit more mayonnaise in this step.
After that is ready, toss it with a bag of coleslaw mix and some diced green onions. THAT. IS. IT.
The Perfect Coleslaw for Pulled Pork
Because it’s on the lighter side (less mayo than a typical store-bought recipe) it doesn’t drown out the delicious flavors of the recipe you might be putting it on. This is why we really like this coleslaw for pulled pork recipes.
How Long Does Coleslaw Last in the Fridge?
While we recommend letting this recipe hang out in the fridge for a bit (the flavors get better over time), you will want to eat it all up in 3-5 days. After that, the veggies might start to deteriorate.
Can I Freeze Coleslaw
Pulling from over a decade of freezer cooking experience, I’d advise you to not freeze coleslaw. After it thaws, it would be soggy and lack the crunchy texture that people love about it.
Other Side Dishes You’ll Love
If you like this coleslaw, here are some other faves that go with pulled pork or any other BBQ, roasted, or grilled meat:
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1/3 cup real mayonnaise (my favorite is Avocado Mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (sub: sugar)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) bag of coleslaw mix (cabbage with carrots)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, honey, green onions, salt, and pepper.
- Add the coleslaw mix and stir until well combined.
- Let sit in the fridge for 2-4 hours before serving (the flavors get better!). Be sure to taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your preference before serving.
- Want it creamier? Try using 1/2 cup of mayo instead.
- You can also add in 1 teaspoon of celery seed if you want a more traditional southern style coleslaw.