This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This light, flavorful Asian slaw is a delicious, healthy side dish that is perfect for the spring and summer months. Serve it with some grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and watermelon and you have yourself a perfect meal.
A Short Video of How Asian Slaw Comes Together:
Asian Slaw makes a perfect light side for a summer dinner or a “no mayo” salad for an outdoor BBQ. It’s made with fresh veggies and gives that satisfying crunch while still providing tons of flavor. Here is a short video of how it comes together!
You know that delicious slaw salad made from Oriental Ramen Noodles? Well, unfortunately, that recipe is usually full of processed ingredients and MSG.
The good news is, my friend Carla took a stab at making a homemade version of that dressing. I then tweaked the recipe resulting in a delicious Asian Slaw recipe that is healthy and still awesome-tasting according to our husbands and friends.
Ingredients in Asian Slaw
The ingredients in Asian Slaw are quite simple and require very little prep. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cabbage slaw mix
- Chopped green onion
- Almond slivers or slices
- Dried cranberries
- Sunflower seeds
- 1 crisp pear or apple
- Optional: grilled chicken
You could also toss in some edamame, peanuts, or snow peas. Play with it! Have fun!
The dressing has a handful of ingredients that you likely have in your pantry.
What to Serve with Asian Slaw
While this recipe can be used any time of the year, I seem to gravitate towards it in the summer time. Here are some ideas that it would pair well with:
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1/3 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (sub: rice vinegar)
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2–3 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 oz bag of cabbage slaw mix
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup almond slivers or slices
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 crisp pear or apple, diced in small chunks
- Optional: 1 1/2 lbs grilled chicken, diced
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a sealed jar and shake until combined. Chill in the fridge while making the rest of the salad.
- Toast the almonds at 350°F for about 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Watch closely so they don’t burn.
- Approximately 30 minutes before serving, combine the slaw ingredients and then toss with part of the dressing. Taste and then add more dressing, as needed.
- Optional: To add grilled chicken, make a second batch of the dressing. Marinate chicken breasts in that mixture for 1-2 hours and discard the marinade. Grill chicken over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Let rest for 5 minutes and then slice on against the grain and top the Asian Slaw.
Salad Dressing Cheat Sheet
Our best homemade salad dressings all in one place!
- Download it.
- Print it.
- Use it over and over again!