The flavor of this simple, grilled asparagus recipe will amaze you. The crispy, slightly charred ends are a perfect contrast to the tender fresh asparagus stalks.
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds asparagus, tough ends snapped off*
- 1–2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. (You should be able to hold your hand about 5 inches above it for 3-4 seconds.)
- In a baking dish or bowl, toss the asparagus with the oil. Season with salt and pepper lightly and toss again.
- Using tongs, place the asparagus directly on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes, turning a few times to evenly char the stalks. Remove while they are crisp-tender.
- Season with more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with a squeeze of lemon (optional).
*To prep the asparagus: Rinse them and then snap off the lower 2 inches or so, wherever they bend and break naturally. (You can save these and use in a soup later.)