Learn how you can easily roast asparagus in the oven and enjoy a crisp, bright, tender stalk in all its glory. With a few simple ingredients and 8 quick minutes in the oven, you can be serving up one of nature’s healthiest foods to your family all year long.
Why Eat Asparagus?
This veggie is a POWERHOUSE. No wonder my dad was always trying to get us to eat it as kids. Asparagus is low in calories, high in fiber, and packed with antioxidants. (Antioxidants prevent the accumulation of harmful free radicals and may reduce your risk of chronic disease.) Get this, mamas: asparagus is also high in folate, a nutrient that is vital for a healthy pregnancy and many important processes in the body, including cell growth and DNA formation. If you’re in the baby-making stage of life, eat your asparagus! If you’re not, eat your asparagus! It’s really an amazing vegetable for anyone.
Why Roast Asparagus in the Oven?
There are two sides to asparagus if you ask me. When boiled or overcooked, you end up with a flaccid, bitter, dull green vegetable on your plate. Or, you can roast asparagus to perfection and enjoy a crisp, bright, tender stalk in all its glory. I don’t know about you, but the latter is how I prefer mine. No flaccid vegetables on my plate, please! It’s also incredibly easy to do!
How to Prep Oven Roasted Asparagus
You’ll laugh at how easy this is.
First, make sure you pick firm asparagus. Snap off the tough ends of them. (Kids love to help with this part.)
You can also hop over to our video on How to Grill Asparagus if you want to see this in action. Just watch the first half.
Grab a dish/bowl/baking sheet/something to throw your asparagus in. Toss it in a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
You’re done. See, told ya it was easy!
Now, all you have to do is spread your seasoned asparagus out on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven. Just abide by this one asparagus law: THOU SHALT NOT OVERCOOK THY TINY TREES.
They also don’t really sit very well once cooked so be ready to chow once they come out of the oven.
Oven roasted asparagus is the easy veggie side your family will happily devour. Prepare for requests for seconds!
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges (garnish)
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (as garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and snap off tough bottom ends of asparagus.
- Place asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with the oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears. Shake the pan once or twice during the cooking time for even cooking.
- To check for doneness, prick with a fork. Asparagus should be crisp-tender. It will continue cooking even when removed from the oven, so don’t overcook it.
- Squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the top and sprinkle on some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy immediately.
How to Grill Asparagus
Want to try your hand at grilling asparagus? Hop over to this post and learn how.