Seasoned, tender shredded beef covered in a homemade BBQ sauce takes minutes in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Freezer meal instructions included.
Find our Slow Cooker BBQ Beef recipe here.
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (approx. 3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ Sauce
- 8–10 whole wheat hamburger buns
Make It Now:
- In the 6-quart Instant Pot, combine the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the meat into 2×2 inch pieces, trimming off excess fat as needed. Pat dry with a paper towel and add the meat to the Instant Pot with the seasoning mixture. Toss to combine.
- Pour 1 cup of BBQ sauce over the meat. Stir to combine.
- Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Stir the meat back into the sauce.
- Position the top rack of the oven 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat the broiler.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet with the insides facing up. Broil the buns for 1-2 minutes, until golden (watch them closely!).
- Using a slotted spoon, top each bun with some of the meat. Spoon over some of the remaining 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and enjoy.
Freeze For Later: Follow steps 1 and 2. Place the seasoned meat and 1 cup of the BBQ sauce in a gallon-sized freezer bag or round container. Seal and freeze (if using a freezer bag, set it in a bowl or round container with a diameter similar to the Instant Pot so it will fit in the pot when frozen). Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce into a small bag/container and seal. Freeze the sauce and buns alongside the meat.
Prepare From Frozen: Set the extra sauce and buns out on the counter to start thawing. Set the Instant pot to “Saute”. Transfer the frozen meat and sauce to the pot and cook for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press “Cancel”. Follow steps 4-8 (the meat will cook at the same time length as when fresh!).