- 2 tables avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 teaspoons all-natural steak seasoning (recommend: Weber Montana Steak Seasoning which has all recognizable ingredients)
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped or finely shredded
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-natural Worcestershire sauce (recommend: Lea Perrin’s brand, which is all-natural and gluten-free)
- 4 (8-ounce) cans unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 8 slices cheddar cheese*
*Omit if making a dairy-free version.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
- Set the Instant Pot to “Sauté.” Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil into the pot and heat until shimmery. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat as it cooks, for 2 minutes. Add the steak seasoning and 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup and stir to combine with the meat. Cook until the beef is no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes more. Transfer the beef to a paper towel—lined plate and wipe out the pot.
- Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the pot and heat until shimmery. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, vinegar, and Worcestershire. Cook, stirring, until the veggies are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Press “Cancel.”
- Return the beef to the pot and add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release the pressure. Taste and season with salt and pepper. (Freezer meal instructions begin here.)
- Position the top oven rack about 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat the broiler.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet with the insides facing up. Broil the buns for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
- There will be a lot of liquid in the mixture, so use a large slotted spoon to scoop it onto the toasted bun bottoms. Top each with a slice of cheese, cover with the tops of the buns, and serve.
Freeze For Later: Follow Step 1-3. Let the meat mixture fully cool, then freeze in a freezer bag or container. Freeze along with the buns and cheese slices to create a meal kit.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the meal kit. Rewarm the meat mixture in the Instant Pot on the Low slow cooker setting or in the microwave, stirring occasionally.
Stovetop Instructions: You can make this quickly on the stovetop using these instructions.
Gluten-Free Version: To make this gluten-free, use gluten-free buns and a gluten-free Worcestershire Sauce like the Lea Perrin’s brand.
Dairy-Free Version: This recipe is mostly dairy-free. Just omit adding a slice of cheese at the end or use a dairy-free cheese slice, if you’d like.
Beef Substitutions: You can also use ground turkey or ground chicken for this recipe, instead of ground beef.