This gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian Instant Pot soup recipe is one of the easiest you’ll ever make. Dump in your pantry ingredients, cook, and enjoy!
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can vegetarian refried beans (Sub: drained and rinsed pinto beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (Sub: drained and rinsed kidney beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained (Sub: 1 1/2 cups frozen corn)
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with their juices (Sub: fire-roasted diced tomatoes are a delicious alternative!)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilis, with their juices (Sub: 1/2 cup salsa)
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (Try our homemade taco seasoning here.)
- 1 to 2 cups cooked brown rice (Sub: See Cooking Notes for a cauliflower rice substitution idea.)
Make It Now:
- In the 6-quart Instant Pot, combine the broth, refried beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chilis, salsa, and taco seasoning and stir to combine, breaking up the refried beans as much as possible.
- Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Stir in cooked rice. Serve warm, with your favorite toppings. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3-6 months.
Freeze For Later: Add all the ingredients, except the rice, to a gallon-size freezer bag. Seal, toss gently to combine, and freeze in a round bowl or container with a diameter similar to the instant Pot (so it will fit in the pot when frozen). Place the cooked rice in a separate small freezer bag. Seal and freeze alongside the soup. See more tips on Instant Pot freezer meals here.
Prepare From Frozen: Put the rice on the counter to thaw. Set the Instant Pot to “Saute.” Transfer the frozen soup to the pot and cook for 5 minutes to release some liquid. Press “Cancel.” Follow Steps 2 and 3, but cook for 12 to 17 minutes.
- Optional Topping Ideas: lime wedges, diced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, minced jalapeños, diced red onion, chopped cilantro, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips.
- The soup will thicken as it sits. Add more broth, as needed.
- If you have a heat-sensitive palate, cut the taco seasoning back to 1 tablespoon and use mild salsa.
- Try adding in frozen or fresh cauliflower rice and cook with all the other ingredients. It works really well, adds even more nutrition, and is virtually tasteless. We have tested this many times, and it’s delicious.