This one-pot wonder is packed with flavor but is also vegetarian! This winning combination of ingredients and flavors is sure to impress your family and friends.
- 1 (32 ounce) box vegetable stock (Sub: chicken stock or broth)
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetarian refried beans* (Sub: drained pinto beans that have been smashed with a fork)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed (Sub: kidney or pinto beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained (Sub: 2 cups frozen corn)
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes (juice and all) (Tip: Fire-roasted diced tomatoes are delicious!)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles (Sub: 1/2 cup salsa)
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons all-natural taco seasoning mix
- 1–2 cups cooked brown rice (Sub: cooked quinoa)
- Optional Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, jalapeños, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, crushed tortilla chips, lime wedges, diced avocado
Make It Now:
Stovetop Method: In a large pot, combine broth, refried beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, salsa, and taco seasoning. Stir and break up the refried beans as much as possible. Bring to a boil and quickly reduce to a simmer. Cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally while it cooks. Stir in the cooked rice and serve warm with optional toppings.
Slow Cooker Method: Combine broth, refried beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, salsa, and taco seasoning in the crockpot. Stir and break up the refried beans as much as possible. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Stir in the cooked rice and serve warm with optional toppings.
Instant Pot Method: Combine broth, refried beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, chiles, salsa, and taco seasoning in the crockpot. Stir and break up the refried beans as much as possible. Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes, then quick release the pressure. Stir in the cooked rice and serve warm with optional toppings.
Freeze For Later:
Method 1 (Uncooked): Combine all ingredients in a pot/bowl, except rice and optional toppings. (Don’t worry if the refried beans aren’t completely integrated.) Carefully ladle the soup into gallon-sized freezer bags or containers and seal. Package the cooked rice in a small freezer bag and freeze alongside the soup.
Method 2 (Fully Cooked): Fully cook the soup according to instructions. Stir in the rice. Let cool. Freeze in freezer bags or containers, as individual servings or one full meal. Freeze until ready to use.
Prepare From Frozen:
Method 1 (Uncooked): Fully thaw the soup. Cook according to instructions.
Method 2 (Fully Cooked):
Stove or Slow Cooker: Warm over low heat on the stove or in the slow cooker.
Instant Pot: Turn on Saute button and warm over low, stirring frequently.*
*If you want to cook the soup from frozen in the Instant Pot, you’ll need to freeze it in a round container that is smaller than the diameter of the pot. When ready to cook, turn on the “Saute” function and saute the frozen block of soup for 5-10 minutes to release some liquid. Press “Cancel”. Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 12-17 minutes with a quick release.
Gluten-Free: If using a taco seasoning packet from the store, be sure to buy one that is gluten-free.
Dairy-Free: Omit using any cheese or sour cream on top.