This fake-out lasagna is a dinner time favorite in my home. Very easy to make, super filling and is freezer friendly. My kids love this meal!
- 25 ounces fresh or frozen cheese ravioli
- olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef (preferably grass-fed, organic)
- 1/2 lb pork sausage (here’s where we get ours from)
- 2 (24-28 ounce) jars marinara sauce (or 6 cups Homemade Marinara Sauce)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded Italian mix cheese (or more shredded mozzarella)
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional for serving
*Note: Our original recipe called for 1 can (15 ounce) crushed Italian tomatoes, but in further tests we found it to be too saucy. We removed this ingredient.
Make It Now:
- If using frozen ravioli, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the ravioli according to package instructions, just until al dente. (Note: If using fresh ravioli from the refrigerator section, skip this step. No need to cook it in advance.)
- While the ravioli cooks, preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan (or two 8×8 inch pans) with cooking spray.
- Drain the ravioli in a colander, gently toss with a little oil to keep from sticking, and set aside.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onions until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute but don’t let it burn. Next, add beef and sausage to the onion mixture and turn up the heat to medium-high. Cook until browned and no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain off the grease, then stir in the sauce and remove from heat.
- In the baking dish(es), spread a thin layer of the meat sauce into the bottom. Arrange a layer of half the ravioli over the sauce. Sprinkle about 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and about 1 cup of the Italian cheese over the ravioli. Pour half of the remaining sauce over the cheese and spread it with the back of a spoon. Repeat layers, ending with the rest of the sauce on top. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes until hot throughout. Take foil off and bake about 15 minutes more or until bubbly at edges.
- Let rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Freeze For Later:
Prepare the casserole through Step 5, but do not bake. Wrap the unbaked casserole(s) tightly with plastic wrap and foil before putting in the freezer, making sure to squeeze out any excess air.
Prepare From Frozen:
Thaw in the fridge (may take up to 48 hours) or thaw in the microwave on defrost setting. Bake according to instructions, beginning with Step 6.
If cooking directly from frozen state, baking time will increase.