Baked Nachos are a quick, kid-friendly meal that will please the whole family. Save yourself some time and cook and freeze the meat ahead of time to have on hand.
- Roughly 40–50 tortilla chips (a typical 8 ounce bag should be more than enough)
- 1 lb cooked, taco-seasoned ground beef (or use shredded Cilantro Lime Chicken, Southwest Chicken, Slow Cooker Carnitas, and/or black beans)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more or less to your taste)
- Topping ideas:
- 1/2 – 1 cup black beans, drained
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Sliced black olives
- Diced red onion
- Jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- Sour cream or whole plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced green onion
Make It Now:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Spread tortilla chips in a single layer on the bottom of pan. Cover with taco meat (and/or black beans or shredded chicken). Top with the cheese.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes, until the meat is warm and the cheese is melted to your liking.
- Remove from oven and add your favorite toppings.
Freeze For Later: Cook the meat as directed from whatever recipe you choose: Taco meat, Carnitas, Cilantro Lime Chicken, etc.) Then let the mixture cool completely. Place it in a freezer bag, seal and freeze. In a separate bag, freeze about 2 cups of shredded cheese. Freeze together as a kit. Be sure to have a bag of tortilla chips on hand in the pantry, too.
Prepare From Frozen: Let all ingredients thaw in the refrigerator. Following Steps 2-4.