Fresh herbs and pantry staples combine to create this complex chicken marinade. Grill or bake the chicken, then enjoy on its own or atop a salad. Marinade works for 1.5-2 pounds of chicken breast, tenders, or thighs.
- 1/3 cup oil (recommend: avocado or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (sub: 2 tsp dried parsley, crushed in hand)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed in hand
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in hand
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Make It Now:
- Add the oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to a gallon-sized freezer bag, seal, and shake. Either seal and refrigerate until ready to use, OR add 1.5-2 pounds chicken to the bag, seal, and squish around to make sure the chicken is covered in marinade. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Place the bag in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Cook the chicken however you’d like (grill, slow cook, pressure cook, or bake). See tips below in the Notes.
Freeze For Later: Follow step 1. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw, using one of these safe thawing methods, and follow Step 3. No additional marinating time needed once it is thawed!
How to Know If Chicken Is Done: Chicken is done when it reaches 165°F internal temperature. (A digital meat thermometer is a must to help cook chicken perfectly.)
How to Cook Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts:
- Bake in Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken in a casserole dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, until done.
- Slow Cooker: Place chicken and marinade in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Really! That’s all it takes to get it done, otherwise you’ll overcook and dry it out.
- Instant Pot: Place chicken and marinade in Instant Pot. Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes and use a quick release of the pressure when the cook time is up. (Note: It will take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure before the cook time starts.)
- Grill: Pound out the chicken to about 3/4 inch thick (or cut it in half lengthwise) to help with fast and even cooking. Preheat grill to medium-high heat and clean the grates well. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, maybe longer depending on the thickness, until done.