Fresh herbs and pantry staples combine to create this complex Balsamic Herb Chicken Marinade. Grill or bake the chicken, then enjoy on its own or atop a salad.
Ingredients in Balsamic Herb Chicken Marinade
Marinating chicken is THE key to infusing flavor into typically lean, bland poultry cuts. This complex marinade requires mostly pantry staples to turn that lackluster cut into something that makes your tastebuds sing.
Let’s meet the key ingredients…
- Olive or avocado Oil – To keep things moist.
- Balsamic vinegar – Acid is a must in all marinades.
- Honey – Just a hint of sweetness.
- Dijon mustard – Brings in a different kind of acidity.
- Garlic cloves – Delicious pungent flavor.
- Fresh parsley (or dried) – All the herbs add color and an herbaceous undertone.
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper – Basics that balance every marinade.
How to Make and Store the Marinade
You can mix up this marinade and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in a jar to use when ready. Or, you can freeze it in a mason jar, too, but allow at least 1 inch of headspace at the top for expansion.
When ready to use the marinade, pour it over chicken in a zip-top bag or container with a lid. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours to infuse flavor. If you plan to freeze the chicken in the marinade, do not let it marinate first.
Then, grill, slow cook, pressure cook, or bake your marinated Balsamic Herb Chicken. You choose your method! We’ve included instructions for how to cook boneless chicken breasts any of these ways in the recipe below.
My favorite way to use this marinade is for grilled chicken on a Surf and Turf night. Try our Mediterranean Shrimp Kabobs with it!
Other Chicken Marinades
Try some of other other favorite healthy chicken marinades to mix things up:Print
Fresh herbs and pantry staples combine to create this complex chicken marinade. Grill or bake the chicken, then enjoy on its own or atop a salad. Marinade works for 1.5-2 pounds of chicken breast, tenders, or thighs.
- 1/3 cup oil (recommend: avocado or olive oil)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (sub: 2 tsp dried parsley, crushed in hand)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed in hand
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in hand
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Make It Now:
- Add the oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to a gallon-sized freezer bag, seal, and shake. Either seal and refrigerate until ready to use, OR add 1.5-2 pounds chicken to the bag, seal, and squish around to make sure the chicken is covered in marinade. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Place the bag in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Cook the chicken however you’d like (grill, slow cook, pressure cook, or bake). See tips below in the Notes.
Freeze For Later: Follow step 1. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw, using one of these safe thawing methods, and follow Step 3. No additional marinating time needed once it is thawed!
How to Know If Chicken Is Done: Chicken is done when it reaches 165°F internal temperature. (A digital meat thermometer is a must to help cook chicken perfectly.)
How to Cook Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts:
- Bake in Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken in a casserole dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, until done.
- Slow Cooker: Place chicken and marinade in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Really! That’s all it takes to get it done, otherwise you’ll overcook and dry it out.
- Instant Pot: Place chicken and marinade in Instant Pot. Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes and use a quick release of the pressure when the cook time is up. (Note: It will take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure before the cook time starts.)
- Grill: Pound out the chicken to about 3/4 inch thick (or cut it in half lengthwise) to help with fast and even cooking. Preheat grill to medium-high heat and clean the grates well. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, maybe longer depending on the thickness, until done.