The fresh herbs and shredded cheese inside the burgers take these patties over the top in taste, plus add a bit of sneaky greens inside, too. These moist Cheesy Chive Burgers freeze well and thaw overnight in the fridge or quickly in the microwave.
- ⅓ cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced chives (at least 1 package from the store)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (or 2 teaspoons pre-minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon salt (if omitting the shredded cheese, add another 1/4 teaspoon)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese (recommended: sharp cheddar but mild will work)
- 2 pounds ground beef (we get our grass-fed, grass-finished beef from ButcherBox)
- Optional: 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted (or sub large lettuce leaves)
Make It Now:
- In a large bowl, combine parsley, chives, garlic, salt, pepper, and shredded cheese. Add ground beef and combine ingredients gently using your hands. Do not overmix. Divide meat mixture into six equal portions and form burger patties. Leave a slight indentation in the middle of the burger so that the edges are thicker. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- Cook burgers on a preheated grill or grill pan over high heat (about 450°F) for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Do not push down on the burgers while they cook. Then, move to a lower heat area of the grill and cook to desired doneness, another 3-4 minutes (for medium) or 5-6 minutes (for well-done). A well-done burger is no longer pink inside and has an internal temperature of 160°F. In the last minute of cooking, add optional cheddar slices on top.
- Serve on a toasted whole grain bun or a large lettuce leaf with your favorite toppings and condiments, like lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, and mustard.
Freeze For Later: Package uncooked burgers in single layers between pieces of parchment or waxed paper in a freezer bag/container. You can freeze a package of hamburger buns and the cheese slices along with the burgers to create a kit. Seal and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw completely in the refrigerator, about 24 hours. Set on counter and bring up to room temperature for about 20-30 minutes. Follow Steps 2-3.