Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
A delightful twist on chicken noodle soup that will bring some serious comfort food to your table without much fuss.
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
Make It Now:
(Find the Crockpot instructions in the Notes below or make Instant Pot Chicken Tortellini Soup.)
1. In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat until shimmery. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook until they begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper while they cook. Stir in the garlic during the last 30 to 60 seconds of cooking. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
2. Stir in the broth, water, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and the chicken.
3. Bring soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or just until the chicken is done (no longer pink inside or registers 165 F internally). Using tongs, remove the chicken to a wooden cutting board.
4. Bring the soup to a boil again and stir in the tortellini. Cook the tortellini according to package directions, probably 3-5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, shred the chicken with two forks or dice it and stir back into the soup. Add more water or broth, if the soup is too thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley and topped with freshly grated Parmesan, if desired.
Freeze For Later: Follow step 1. Let the veggies cool, then transfer them to a gallon-size freezer bag or round container. Add the chicken, broth, water, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Seal and freeze alongside a bag of 3-4 cups frozen tortellini. Tip: Double bag the soup to help prevent leaks and freeze flat.
Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the soup (but not the frozen tortellini). Add to a large pot and follow Steps 3-6.
Find it online: https://thrivinghomeblog.com/chicken-tortellini-soup/