My 5-year-old daughter and I threw these together one afternoon in about 15 minutes. I know it looks fancy or difficult, but I ASSURE you that you can do this. These homemade whole wheat egg noodles are cheap, healthy and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. All my favorites in one recipe!
My kids took several helpings of the chicken noodle soup we made with these. And the leftovers were even better the next day. We’ll be making them again soon! Don’t forget to make enough to freeze for later. Freezer instructions included and lots more healthy freezable meal ideas are here.Print
Homemade whole wheat egg noodles – delicious and simple! Make them from scratch and enjoy the fantastic flavor!
- 2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer organic white whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl and make a “well” in the middle.
- Beat the eggs, water and olive oil in a separate small bowl. Pour into the “well” in the middle of the flour mixture.Stir until the ingredients are mostly combined. Add a little more water if it is too crumbly and not coming together.
- Dump the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead it with your hands a little bit to get the ingredients combined well. Form into a round disc-shaped dough ball. Sprinkle with a little flour.
- Use a well floured rolling pin and roll until your noodle dough is very thin, about 1/8 inch in thickness. If needed, add more flour under the dough to keep it from sticking to the counter. This is very important!
- Use a pizza cutter to cut long strips of noodles as thin or thick as you like and any length you like.
- Now you can either use your noodles right away (see below), or let them dry on the counter for several hours. Turn them over after a few hours, so they dry even. Store dried noodles in a Ziploc bag in the pantry, fridge or freezer. They will stay good for up to a month.
- To cook the noodles:
- Use them in this Chicken Noodle Soup recipe with this Homemade Chicken Broth recipe. It’s absolutely delicious!
- [url href=”undefined”][/url]
Freezer Meal Instructions:
If you plan to freeze this recipe for later (here are tips and other recipe ideas), cook your soup but be sure to undercook your noodles by a few minutes. Cool soup and freeze in a BPA-free freezer bag or air-tight freezable container.
When ready to eat, thaw in fridge in advance and warm over low heat on the stove. Or use the defrost setting on the microwave and then warm up in the microwave.