Make these simple egg sandwiches ahead of time, wrap, and freeze for fast and satisfying breakfasts on the go.
- 9 whole wheat English muffins
- 4–5 tablespoons butter, softened (optional)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (your choice of milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1–2 tablespoons oil (recommended: avocado oil)
- 9 slices Cheddar cheese (sub: Havarti, Colby-Jack, or Swiss cheese slices)
- 1 pound fully cooked bacon (try this no-fail method to bake bacon)
Make It Now:
- Adjust the top oven rack to 6 inches below the broiler. Turn the broiler on high.
- Set the English muffins on a sheet pan and open them up with the insides facing up. Spread a little softened butter on the insides (optional). Toast under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, just until toasted. Keep a close eye on them.
- Turn off the broiler and preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a 9×9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into the casserole dish.
- Bake the eggs for 20 minutes, or until set in the middle. Let cool slightly and slice into 9 equal squares.
- To assemble the sandwiches, top each muffin bottom with one egg square, one cheese slice, and 1-2 slices of bacon that have been broken in half. Place the muffin top on and wrap the sandwich tightly in foil. (Freezing instructions begin here.)
- If eating immediately, warm the foil-wrapped sandwiches in the oven for about 3-5 minutes, or microwave uncovered (no foil!) for 30 seconds, until cheese is melted.
Freeze For Later: Follow directions through Step 6. Place the individually-wrapped sandwiches in a gallon-sized freezer bag and freeze.
Prepare From Frozen: There are three options for thawing and warming these sandwiches.
Option 1 (preferred method): Thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove foil and wrap in a moist paper towel. Microwave in 30 second intervals, until warmed through (about 1-2 minutes).
Option 2: From frozen, remove foil and wrap frozen sandwich in a moist paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute and then in 30 second intervals, until warmed through.
Option 3: From frozen, place foil-wrapped sandwiches in 350° F oven for about 30 minutes or until warmed through.