Turn our delicious Meatballs with Veggies into these simple hot sandwiches that are sure to be hit in your home. Using whole grain bread, our sneaky meatballs, and our homemade or an organic sauce makes these extra nutritious.
- 4 whole wheat subs or 8 dinner rolls
- 12–16 cooked meatballs
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- 1) Preheat the broiler. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- 2) Split open and lay subs or rolls open on the sheet pan. Toast under the broiler for about 1 minute. Watch closely so they don’t burn.
- 3) Turn oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3) While oven preheats, put together sandwiches like this:
- – Add 3-4 meatballs on the subs or 1-2 on dinner rolls. If needed, cut some of the meatballs in half to fit on your sub roll.
- – Top with enough marinara sauce to cover meatballs.
- – Lay Provolone slices over the top of the sauce, so sandwiches are entirely covered. If needed, cut slices in half to fit properly.
- 4) Toast sandwiches until sandwich is warmed through and cheese is melted–about 5-10 minutes.
Freezer Meal Prep Instructions:
- Freeze cooked meatballs, sauce, cheese, and subs all in freezer bags. Be sure to remove as much air as possible from the bags.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight or, for a quicker method, run (tightly closed) freezer bags under cold water. Do not defrost in the microwave. Then, follow cooking instructions. If meatballs are still slightly frozen, cover sandwiches with foil (so they don’t burn) and warm longer in the oven until heated through.
- Serving Size: 1 sub sandwich or 2 dinner roll sandwiches