Just put a few ingredients (like chicken and marinara ) in to the crockpot and you’ll have one of your favorite meals for a busy night!
- 3–4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar (24 ounce) or 3 cups all-natural marinara sauce (or make your own)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed in hand
- 12 mini whole wheat buns or 6 large whole wheat buns (or make your own)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices of Provolone or Mozzarella cheese, cut into fourths
- Lightly season all sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts, sauce, garlic, and seasoning to the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 2 1/2 – 3 hours. Chicken is done when it shreds easily and is white all the way through (or registers 165°F internally). Shred with two forks.
- To build a sandwich place some hot shredded chicken on a bun, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, top with two little pieces of Provolone or Mozzarella cheese, and pop the top of the bun in place.* Enjoy!
*If you’d like, place the sliders (open faced) on a sheet pan and broil for a 1 minute to melt the cheese.
Freeze For Later: Fully cook and cool the chicken. Place in a freezer-safe container or zip top bag. You can also wrap up the cheese slices and rolls tightly and freeze. Keep all ingredients in a grocery sack in the freezer, so the meal components are together.
Prepare From Frozen: When ready to cook, thaw everything in the fridge for 24-48 hours. If chicken is still partially frozen, use the defrost setting on the microwave. Warm chicken mixture over medium-low on the stove stirring occasionally, in a slow cooker on low setting, or in the microwave. Serve according to the instructions in Step 3 above.