Southwest Chicken and Bacon Wraps are packed with flavor and a family favorite in the making.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders (or you can use chicken breasts)
- 1 batch of Southwest Chicken Marinade
- 8 slices (about a half pound) bacon, fully cooked and crumbled (try our No Fail Bacon method)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (or shredded cheddar)
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 batches of Creamy Southwest Ranch Sauce (sub: combine 1:1 ratio of salsa and store-bought Ranch Dip)
- 8 burrito-sized whole wheat tortillas
Make It Now:
- Marinate the Chicken: In a gallon-sized freezer bag or container, add the chicken to the Southwest Chicken Marinade. (Freezing instructions begin here.) Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-24 hours.
- Grill the Chicken: Preheat grill to medium-high heat and clean the grates well. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, maybe longer depending on the thickness, until done. Chicken is done when it registers 165°F internally or has no more pink inside. Let chicken rest on a cutting board and then dice into bite-sized pieces. (See other ways to cook your chicken in notes below.)
- Assemble the Wrap: To each tortilla, add some grilled chicken, bacon pieces, 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons Creamy Southwest Ranch Sauce. Roll up like a burrito. Serve more Creamy Southwest Ranch Sauce on the side for dipping, if desired.
Freeze For Later: Package the following items individually in freezer bags and freeze them together as a kit:
- uncooked chicken in the Southwest Chicken Marinade
- cooked bacon pieces
- shredded cheese
- tortillas (Here are tips for freezing tortillas.)
Prepare From Frozen: You’ll need Creamy Southwest Ranch Sauce, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes on hand to complete this meal. Thaw the meal kit in the refrigerator overnight. Follow the recipe beginning with Step 2.
How to Know If Chicken Is Done: Chicken is done when it reaches 165°F internal temperature. (A digital meat thermometer is a must to help cook chicken perfectly.)
Other Ways to Cook Chicken Tenders:
- Bake in Oven: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish or on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, until done.
- Slow Cooker: Place chicken and marinade in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Really! That’s all it takes to get it done, otherwise you’ll overcook and dry it out.
- Instant Pot: Place chicken, marinade, and 1/3 cup chicken broth in a 6 quart Instant Pot. (Note: If using an 8 quart, double the marinade and broth amount.) Lock and seal the lid. Cook at high pressure for 7 minutes and use a quick release of the pressure when the cook time is up. (Note: It will take 10-15 minutes to come to pressure before the cook time starts.)
If using chicken breasts, pound out chicken breasts to about 3/4 inch thick (or cut it in half lengthwise) to help with fast and even grilling.
We get our meat from ButcherBox. The bacon is uncured, contains no sugar, and is absolutely delicious! The chicken is organic and curated from small, trusted farms. We highly recommend this service to source healthy meat and have used it for years ourselves.
- Serving Size: 8 wraps