Holy Chocomole!

Who doesn’t love some chocolate pudding every now and then?  But, every time I read the labels on the pudding packs at the store, I cringe.  That’s why I was intrigued by Katie Kimball’s idea at Kitchen Stewardship called Chocomole.

This three-ingredient pudding tastes fantastic and is such a healthy alternative for store bought pudding. You are not going to believe this, but it’s true.  Using her recipe, I just made the best, real-tasting chocolate pudding from three healthy, real food ingredients.

#1 – 1/4 cup cocoa powder
#2 – 1/4 cup honey (raw honey, if you have it)
#3 – 1 AVOCADO!

Sounds weird, huh?  But, I’m here to testify that if you put these three things in your food processor and process the snot out of them, it turns into smooth, sweet, chocolaty pudding that does NOT taste like avocado.

This three-ingredient pudding tastes fantastic and is such a healthy alternative for store bought pudding. My kids will wake up from naps in a few minutes and will get to taste.  That will be the real test.  Stay tuned for an update on this post for kid results.

Update: Kid results after naps–The 4-year-old really loved the first few bites, but gave up after that. (It is pretty rich.) The 2-year-old ate the whole bowl and loved it.

Looking for more great fake-outs? Here are 50 ways to sneak fruits and vegetables into kids’ favorites!

5o ways to sneak fruits and veggies in to kids' favorite meals.

Holy Chocomole!

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This three-ingredient pudding tastes fantastic and is such a healthy alternative to store bought pudding. Try it as your next healthy dessert.
Author:
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup honey (raw honey, if you have it)
  • 1 whole avocado - See more at: http://thrivinghomeblog.com/2011/09/holy-chocomole-or-the-proof-is-in-the-pudding/#sthash.9r3y92ly.dpuf
Instructions
  1. Cut open avocado and scoop insides in to blender.
  2. Add cocoa powder and honey to blender.
  3. Blend on low to medium speed until the ingredients are fully incorporated. May need to use a spatula and wipe down inside of blender for any excess honey or cocoa powder that's not fully mixed.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Looks Yummy and it's dairy free! Thank you 🙂
    Mary Leibovich

2. DWL says

I think I might be making this tomorrow! Yum, yummy!

3. erin says

Is there a way to make it less rich but still keep it tasting like chocolate not avocado? Do I reduce honey or cocoa?

Could you taste the avocado? I don’t remember being able to discern that flavor, but I do remember it being rich and only eating a small amount. You may have to experiment a bit. I think if you reduce the honey it won’t be sweet enough, and if you reduce the cocoa it will be too sweet. Here are two random ideas that I have NOT tried but that may help cover the avocado:

1 – I wonder if you could add some yogurt (maybe Greek yogurt?). If you do that, you’ll probably need to up the cocoa and honey.
      2 – Add in some melted dark chocolate chips.

You’ll have to let me know if you stumble upon a good variation of this recipe in your experimenting.

4. allison mistler says

I added about a 1/4 cup of water and a banana… three year old one year old and I all loved it:)

Great idea! I need to try those adaptations.

5. DPA says

I found this to be way too sweet (but then I’m like that) and the kids weren’t thrilled either. Too rich as you mentioned. I happened to have another avocado though, so I added it in, further tweaking, I added another two or three tbsp cocoa, a pinch of salt, a splash of vanilla and perhaps up to a half cup of half&half. I think milk or water would work too. Served very cold, it’s quite good, and much gentler on the palate.

Ooo, good to know! Thanks for the tip. We’ve made this a few times and can only eat a few bites because of the sweetness/richness. I like your suggestions.