This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Having a stash of healthy soups in the freezer can be a game changer. In addition to curbing the craving for eating out, a great soup can make a healthy family-friendly dinner OR serve as a quick on-the-go lunch. I will say this, once you find a healthy recipe that your family loves, STOCK UP!
How to Freeze Soups
Wait, what’s that you say? You haven’t ever ventured into the world of freezing soups? Do not fret, my friends. That’s OK. Take my hand and let me guide you. You’ll never go back to throwing away leftovers or letting them go bad in the fridge again.
- Freezer Meal Option One: Assemble the recipe and freeze it before cooking. Oftentimes when making a soup recipe, I will simply double the batch. I will cook one for our meal and then freeze the other batch. I find it easiest to use a plastic freezer bag for this method. When you want to cook it, simply use one of our safe thawing methods and then follow the recipe directions.
- Freezer Meal Option Two: Cook the soup recipe as normal but freeze leftovers into serving-size portions. This is my personal favorite method of stocking up on soup. Since I like to have soup for lunch, this method allows me to just warm up one or two portions in the microwave or on the stove without wasting the rest of the batch. I LOVE using Souper Cubes (picture above) for this type of freezing.
Pro Tip: Let the soup cool completely before putting them in containers. Letting the soup cool will avoid the freezer meal’s worst enemy: freezer burn. It’s also important not to put hot soup into a plastic freezer bag or container, as the heat can leach chemicals from the plastic into your food. Let it cool on the counter for no more than two hours and then place in the refrigerator after that if needed.
4 Ways to Reheat Soup
- Use a crock pot. I like this approach because it can be done way ahead of time. After soup has thawed safely, just dump it in and set it to warm.
- Use a pot on the stove. Empty thawed contents into a pot. Cook on low and stir occasionally until contents are warmed up and ready to serve!
- Microwave your soup. I use a mixed method of first defrosting the soup until it can be chopped apart and then microwaving it on high for 30-60 second increments until the contents are hot. It’s worth mentioning that this method can get messy. Place a plate on top of the bowl to prevent splatters.
- Want to cook it straight from frozen? Use your Instant Pot! We’ve got loads of great information on how to cook freezer meals in the Instant Pot here.
15+ Healthy Soup Recipes
Slow Cooker Cheddar and Bacon Soup
When the air turns crisp and the leaves start to change, making a comforting batch of Cheddar and Bacon Potato Soup is mandatory. Using the slow cooker means your home will smell cozy and delicious, too!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
This easy soup is a delightful twist on chicken noodle soup that will bring some serious comfort food to your table without much fuss. It’s kid-friendly, freezer-friendly, and delicious. Make it on the stove, in the crockpot, or in the Instant Pot!
No Peek Stew
Friends, making beef stew gets NO EASIER than this recipe. My mother-in-law taught me this one when I first got married, and I’ve been serving it to big crowds ever since. Make ahead and freeze to have on hand for busy nights or when hosting a big group.
Turkey Chili with Sweet Potato and Black Beans
Look no further for a comforting slow cooker freezer meal. This lean turkey chili is not only hearty and absolutely delicious, but it’s also chock full of fiber, protein, and nutrients. This crock pot chili is delicious fresh but is also a great make-ahead meal.
Cancer Fighting Soup
Cancer-Fighting Soup (aka Immune-Boosting Soup) is chock full of vegetables, lentils, and black beans that science has shown help fight inflammation in the body. Whether you’re wanting to help someone with a diagnosis or just eat as healthy as possible yourself, this comforting soup fits the bill.
20 Minute Freezable Pumpkin Chili
Want a super nutritious, flavorful recipe that can feed a crowd, won’t break the bank, or doesn’t take much time? This 20-Minute Freezable Pumpkin Chili gets the job done.
Crockpot Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Every bite is packed with delicious flavors in this creamy, 6-ingredient soup. This crowd-pleaser recipe comes together fast and slow cooks all day.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe is a family favorite! It’s creamy, comforting, and delicious. We’ll walk you through each cooking step and ensure you end up with a crowd-pleaser soup that freezes well, too.
Crowd Pleaser Mexican Soup
This Mexican Soup recipe is one of those tried and true recipes that I’ve been making for years and years. It’s easy, super flavorful, freezer friendly, and makes a huge batch.
Thanks to the cheddar cheese and bacon, this veggie-loaded Potato Corn Chowder tastes so rich. This soup is easy to assemble and the leftovers can be easily frozen. A one pot comfort food that you’ll be making all winter long!
Coconut Curry Soup
I’ve made this veggie-rich, Indian-inspired, freezer-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free soup more times than I can count. This colorful soup is rich and satisfying while being nourishing at the same time. You will LOVE it!
This comforting, hearty Tomato Bisque soup recipe is full of nutrition and rich flavor. I’ve made (and frozen) this soup for my own family well over 100 times over the years! I can assure you it will win over kids and adults alike, especially with a grilled cheese on the side for dipping.
Easy Tortilla Soup
This pantry staple Easy Tortilla Soup recipe is a meatless “one pot wonder” that I’ve been making and freezing for years for my family. Filled with beans, tomatoes, chilis, corn, and more, it only gets better the longer it sits in the fridge.
Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
This soup is filled to the brim with hearty vegetables, black beans, and barley. It provides the nutrition you need this winter to boost your immune system and fight off sickness plus amazing taste that will make you want to lick the bowl clean.
Two of our favorite foods–pizza and soup–come together in this gluten-free, dairy-free Pizza Soup recipe to create a meal that’s healthy, filling, and incredibly tasty. It’s absolutely delicious and can be prepped as a freezer meal.
Make 6 Dump-and-Go Freezer Meals in 1 Hour!
- Shopping & equipment lists
- Step-by-Step instructions & video tutorial
- Serving suggestions & dietary substitutions & more