School’s out for a giant ice storm that never hit. So what do you do? Make a treat, of course! My 9-year-old flipped through one of my staple recipe books, The New Best Recipe (Cook’s Illustrated) and landed on Blondies.
What are blondies? Well, if a brownie and a chocolate chip cookie made a baby, you might end up with this special little bundle of joy. A cake-like, chocolate chip cookie bar might be another way to think of this dessert.
With a few small adaptations of our own, he and I whipped these up in about 10 minutes and popped them in the oven. Within 25 minutes, we had a warm, chocolatey snack that hit the “snow day” spot! This is a great recipe to make with a child or to have your older kid make on his/her own. And, I bet you have all the ingredients for our version on hand.
After enjoying a piece of this snack bar ourselves, my son cut up a few pieces and delivered them to the neighbor. Occasionally I remember (wish it was more, to be honest!) to look for opportunities, no matter how small, to help cultivate grateful and generous hearts in my kids.
I hope you can enjoy these Chocolate Chip Blondies right out of the oven on a cold day yourself or deliver some to a friend soon.Print
Imagine a cross between brownies and chocolate chip cookies. With basic ingredients in any pantry and a recipe that’s easy enough for kids to make, Chocolate Chip Blondies make the perfect afternoon snack to enjoy and then share with others.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until combined. Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
- Using a spatula, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Gently stir and fold just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Bake on the center oven rack for 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve.