Asian Lettuce Wraps

These Asian Lettuce Wraps are incredible! Make them for a crowd or make and freeze for later. So easy and yummy!My inspiration for this recipe came years ago after having P.F. Chang’s Lettuce Wraps which are di-vine! Although I don’t cook regularly with ingredients loaded with sodium and MSG (i.e. the soy and hoisen sauces), I figure once in a while can’t kill us. I have seen all-natural versions of these ingredients in my health food store, if you want to scout those out.

Asian Lettuce Wraps were crowned a freezer club “home run” recipe, so you can be assured that the mixture freezes well AND has our “thumbs up” rating. Plus, they are easy to make, as well as almost full proof. The hoisin sauce can cover over a multitude of sins, if needed. Bon Appetit!

5.0 from 2 reviews
Asian Lettuce Wraps {Freezer Meal}

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Serves: 8 appetizer servings; 4 main dish servings
Ingredients
  • 16 Boston Bibb, butter leaf, or Romaine lettuce leaves
  • 1 lb lean ground chicken (or sub ground turkey or beef)
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped (I usually cut this back to ½ onion)
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
  • ½ cup hoisin sauce
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • Asian Chile pepper sauce or any hot sauce, to taste
  • 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
  • ½ bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage
  • 4 teaspoons Asian (dark) sesame oil
  • Optional: 2 cups cooked brown rice
Instructions
  1. Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat, brown the ground chicken in 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often. Drain, and set aside to cool. (See Slow Cooker instructions below.)
  3. Saute the yellow onion in the same pan over medium heat until tender, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, rice wine vinegar, and chile pepper sauce to the onions, stir, and let simmer 1-2 minutes.
  4. Stir in chopped water chestnuts, green onions, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, browned meat and sesame oil, and continue cooking until the onions, carrots, and cabbage just begin to wilt, about 3-4 minutes. If mixture seems too dry, add more hoisen sauce and/or soy sauce to taste (just be cautious, as it can get too salty).
  5. To serve, allow each person to spoon a portion of the meat mixture into a lettuce leaf. Wrap the lettuce around the meat like a burrito, prepare to get messy, and enjoy! Optional: Add cooked rice to the lettuce leaf first and then top with mixture.
Notes
Slow Cooker Instructions:
In large pan, saute the chicken and onions in cooking oil over medium-high heat until cooked through. Add chicken/onion mixture to slow cooker insert, along with the rest of the ingredients (garlic through sesame oil), except the lettuce and rice. Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours. Then, set to "warm" until ready to serve.

Freezer Meal Instructions:
Cook the veggie/meat mixture according to recipe and then freeze. When ready to serve, thaw veggie/meat mixture (either in microwave or in fridge overnight) and warm up (on stove or in microwave), rinse and fill your fresh lettuce leaves, and enjoy.

Check out our list of 60+ Healthy Freezer Meals here or pin it here!

healthy freezer meals

Comments

1. Sue says

Love PF Chang wraps!!! Would you say these taste a lot like them? Also, their dipping sauce is delicious? What do you dip them in?
    Thanks.

Great question and good idea. I love the dipping sauce too. But, this recipe is so juicy/saucy and flavorful on it’s own that I’ve never made a dipping sauce.

2. Noel says

This looks great, but the page doesn’t include the “save this recipe” button option to save it to ZipList. Can you please add that?

3. Michelle says

Looks great! What are the asterisks by the cabbage and carrots? Also, any idea what the noodles are that they are served with at PF Changs? I recall they have a little bit of a crunch to them? THANKS!

Great questions. I will update the recipe, but I think the * were meant to indicate that I bought these pre-shredded at the store. As for the crunchy noodles, I’m not sure. I’ve never made it with those, but I bet those crunchy noodles you can buy in the salad dressing aisle would be close. Not real food though. You know what might be yummy and add some crunch is a sprinkle of chopped roasted peanuts? This recipe is SO flavorful. Enjoy!

4. Michelle says

Thank you so much!!

5. Joy says

This recipe looks great, and I plan to try it. Quick question…is this one that freezes well? Thanks!

This is one of those really, really good recipes on our site that we need to get some better pics of. Everyone I make it for loves it. Yes, it freezes quite well! Just cook fully, cool, and freeze in an airtight/freezer-safe container. When ready to eat, thaw and warm on top of the stove. Enjoy!

6. Amy says

I am making a quadruple batch of this for dinner and the freezer tonight! I just wanted to let you know that Bragg’s Liquid Aminos is an amazing substitute for soy sauce! All of the flavor, but it is healthy!!! It is a staple in our home. Thank you for the recipe!:)

Thanks for the tip! I’ve read about it for years but always forget to look into it more. Now, I’m definitely going to purchase it.

7. Cara says

I can’t wait to try these, I love the PF Chang’s wraps and have been testing out recipes that will come close to them. I’m also interested in doing more freezer cooking for convenience, and I think these will be perfect!

A note to the other poster about the noodles, I know it was back in April when she asked, but they are super easy to make. Buy cellophane rice noodles in the Asian section of the supermarket and fry them by the handful in a few inches of very hot peanut oil. They puff up in about 5 seconds – it’s almost magical to watch, and it’s my favorite part of making lettuce wraps!

Thanks so much for the hint. My son has asked me to make these, but I wasn’t exactly sure what they are or how you cook them. Sounds fun!

8. Julie says

Do you think you could turn these into dumplings, or are they too saucy?

I’ve never made dumplings, but the meat mixture isn’t overly saucy. And it’s very tasty! So I imagine they would be delicious in a dumpling.

9. Shana says

These were a hit tonight. I doubled the recipe and froze half. It only needed a small squirt of the hot sauce and was perfect for our family of little ones.

Sweet! I need to try this out on my kids again. I haven’t made them in a long time, but my husband especially loves them.

10. joy says

I made a ton of this and packed the freezer with it. My family absolutely loves it and we didn’t miss the middle or dipping sauce one bit.

Do you have any inkling as to the number of calories there might be in about a cup of that stuff?

Great! My husband would be jealous if I told him what you did. he love it too! Gosh, I don’t really keep track of calories, so I’m sorry I don’t have a count for you. The great thing is you’re using a lean meat and wrapping it in lettuce. That has to count for something. 🙂

11. Charlotte says

A friend made several batches of this for us before our first baby was born, and I swear it’s keeping us alive through the newborn phase! Just delicious, and freezes so well! Thank you!

Charlotte, what a friend you have! These have historically been one of my husband’s and my favorite meals. I need to resurrect this recipe for my kids now! Congrats on your first born. Enjoy your sweet blessing. 🙂

12. joanna says

I’m really looking forward to making this with my freezer meal club group. I’ve not seen ground chicken in our little grocery, but was wondering about a chicken substitute. Have you ever used the hand blender method of “shredding” cooked chicken breasts? It shreds it perfectly. But I’ve totally done it a little too much and made more of a ground consistency. Do you think that would be a fine sub? Or is the ground chicken a chunkier consistency? TIA. Also I know this is a 2 year old post, but figure it was worth the ask.

I’ve never used the hand blender method, but I have used my food processor to make “ground” chicken out of chicken breasts. It worked pretty well. In fact, I have a recipe called Chicken Apple Bites in the recipe index that uses that method. The ground chicken in the Asian Lettuce Wraps would probably be just fine with a method like that. Also, ground turkey works well in place of the ground chicken. That’s usually easier to find. I hope you enjoy the recipe!

13. Pingback: 25 Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes That Feed a Crowd | Thriving Home