Parmesan and Cracker Crusted Tilapia is hands-down my favorite tilapia recipe ever. Crispy, moist, and full of flavor! You can’t go wrong here.
Freezer Meal Instructions: Bread the fish and freeze unbaked. When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake according to instructions below.
- 1 cup oyster crackers - I used Trader Joe's Oyster Crackers
- ⅓ cup multigrain crackers - I used Trader Joe's Mini Round 12-Grain Crackers
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (or 2 teaspoons of dried thyme leaves)
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Whole wheat flour, for coating
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Splash of heavy cream or half and half
- olive oil, for frying
- 1.5 lbs sole or tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Using a food processor, grind the oyster crackers, multigrain crackers, Parmesan, parsley, chives, thyme, Old Bay seasoning, and garlic powder. Transfer to a shallow bowl. Place flour in another shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, beat the eggs and cream.
- Fill a large skillet with enough oil to reach a depth of ¼ inch and heat over medium-high heat. Season fish fillets with salt and pepper. Coat the fish with the flour, shaking off any excess; coat with the egg mixture, then with the cracker crumbs. Working with two fillets at a time, fry the fish in the skillet, turning once, until deep golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer each batch to the oven to keep warm. Serve with the lemon wedges.
Bread the fish and freeze unbaked.
When ready to cook, thaw breaded fish filets in the fridge overnight and cook according to recipe instructions.