This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Did you know that cooking corn on the cob doesn’t require dirtying up a pot, heating up the kitchen, or waiting for a gallon of water to boil? Use this quick trick on how to microwave corn on the cob!
How to Cook Corn on the Cob in the Microwave
Here’s the foolproof and ridiculously easy trick that I like to call my “3-Minute No Boil” Corn on the Cob Method.
Shuck the Corn
This recipe is specifically for corn without the husk. You can purchase it this way or simply remove the husk of the corn. Here is an easy way to husk corn if you’re curious.
Wrap the Shucked Corn in a Paper Towel
Take your shucked ear of corn and wrap it in a moist paper towel so that it is entirely wrapped. This will keep it from drying out. We also use this in our Grilled Corn on the Cob recipe.
Microwave the Corn
Place it in your microwave and nuke for 3 minutes. Test to see if it’s soft enough by pricking it with a fork. If not, microwave 1 more minute. Note: I usually do two ears at the same time and they turn out fine.
Let It Cool & Enjoy!
Using a potholder, tongs, or dish towel, remove the hot ears of corn. They will continue to cook a bit if you leave them in the paper towel after you remove them. Butter it up and add a little salt and pepper, if you’d like. Enjoy!
Can I Microwave the Corn with the Husk?
If your corn came with the husk on, you can microwave it this way as well!
First, pull back the husk and remove the silk (the stringy pieces) as much as you can. Pull the husk back up over the corn cob.
Then, place up to 4 ears of corn, un-shucked, in the microwave in a single layer.
Microwave for 3 to 5 minutes. For just 1 or 2 ears of corn, microwave on high for 3 minutes. For 3 or 4 ears, microwave for 4 minutes. If you like softer corn or if your ears are particularly large, microwave for an additional minute.
How Long Do You Microwave Corn on the Cob Without a Husk?
Bottom line: Wrap each shucked ear of corn on the cob in a damp paper towel and microwave for 3-4 minutes, depending on your microwave oven.
Grilled Corn on the Cob
We also have an easy method for grilling corn. This works well for cooking a lot of ears at once, while also grilling your main dish alongside.
You also might like our 15+ Grilling Recipes!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 paper towels
- Optional for serving: butter, salt, and pepper (to taste)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Wrap shucked ears of corn in moist paper towels, so that they are entirely wrapped.
- Place 1 or 2 ears in your microwave at a time and cook for 3 minutes. Check to make sure it’s soft enough to your liking by pricking with a fork. If not, cook for 1 more minute.
- Using a pot holder or towel, remove the hot ears of corn. They will continue to cook a bit if you leave it in the paper towel after you remove it.
- Add butter, salt, and pepper to your preference and enjoy some perfectly done corn on the cob!
- Can You Microwave Corn with a Husk? Yes. Remove the silk, replace the husk, and microwave for 3-5 minutes. See the article above for more details.
- How to Grill Corn on the Cob: When cooking a lot of corn at once, try our easy Grilled Corn on the Cob method.