In the vein of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Chocolate Sweet Potato Banana Bread, these Chocolate Banana Muffins turned out to be simply amazing. Believe me when I say, not everything I experiment making does! My kids l.o.v.e. them, and they are highly nutritious. I will just simply say that they will be in our regular rotation for snacks and breakfast from now on.
These Whole Wheat Chocolate Banana Muffins are packed full of nutrition and flavor. Feel good about feeding your family these for a quick breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I prefer white whole wheat)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (or sub almond meal or wheat germ) Why eat flaxseed?
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup organic unrefined sugar (also called sucanat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup smashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin or pureed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (or butter)
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients (flour through ground cinnamon).
In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the next 7 ingredients (bananas through melted coconut oil) until combined.
Add wet mixture to dry ingredients; stir or whisk just until mixed. Do not over mix.
Pour batter into greased muffin tins.
Bake at 350° for about 15 minutes until a wooden pick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool muffins on wire rack.