My husband gets excited about any meal if it includes his beloved pesto cheese bread. Lets be honest, so do I. It is SO good. It doesn’t rank too highly in the healthy department since it is made with white bread and a generous amount of butter but I thought it was too good not to share.
Want to make your own Cheesy Pesto Bread?
(Printable recipe at the bottom)
To make this recipe THAT much better, make your own pesto using this recipe!
Start by slicing a french loaf (can be found in the bakery of your grocery store). Don’t slice the bread all of the way through. You want the bottom to stay attached.
Placed sliced loaf onto foil (to catch any of the drippings that might escape).
Scoop a spoonful of your pesto-butter mixture into the openings. Spread remaining pesto mixture over the top of the loaf.
Now place 1/2 piece of cheese between each slice. I have used provolone and mozzarella. Both were delicious. Pick your poison.
Bake uncovered at 375 for about 15 minutes. You just want to make sure that cheese is good and melted. Some cheeses melt faster than others.
Let it cool a bit and then wow your crowd with the cheesy pesto goodness.
- 1 loaf of french bread
- 4-5 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 6-7 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- Slice bread leaving the bottom still attached.
- In small bowl, mix pesto and melted butter together.
- Scoop pesto/butter mixture into sliced openings --use excess to spread over the top of the loaf.
- Place ½ piece of cheese into every slice.
- Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.