Yesterday was our first day of snow here in our neck of the woods. After about 5 minutes of playing in the windy, freezing cold, wet snow, they headed back inside and started their petitions for hot chocolate. (Oh well. It’s the mommy thought that counts, right?)
Serendipitously, I talked to Polly that day and Adelyn (age 1) had her first experience playing in the snow and enjoying homemade hot chocolate, as well.
We both discovered that we were working on a post about how to make homemade hot chocolate for Thriving Home, as a result! So, we’re excited to share our 3 ingredient recipe for delicious, all-natural homemade hot chocolate.
As my kids were badgering me for hot chocolate, I searched the pantry and found some pre-made mix my husband bought ages ago. But, you know me. I had to read the label before serving it to my kids.
Ahhhh! I implore you to not give your kids hot chocolate from the store for two reasons.
1) The bad news first. Check out what was in my generic store brand:
What IS all that junk? Well, I can tell you, this is NOT real food. Not only is this mix full of highly processed, sugary ingredients, but it also contains trans fat, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
2) The good news is…you only need 3 simple (and much healthier, recognizable) ingredients to make the best hot chocolate ever–no trans fats, artificial flavors, or preservatives included. You probably have them in your pantry right now.
Enjoy a hot mug of delicious and healthier hot chocolate. Mugs up and Merry Christmas!
Today’s Tip: The Best Ever Homemade Popcorn is our favorite snack to enjoy with this hot chocolate. Have you tried it yet?
- 1½ tablespoons 100% cocoa powder (I recommend Ghirardelli brand)
- 1 - 1½ tablespoons unrefined, raw sugar
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- Pour all three ingredients into a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat.
- Stir constantly until the ingredients are fully combined and the milk is hot.
- Serve immediately.