How to Freeze and Save Garden Zucchini

how to freeze zucchini

I have NEVER had such a great zucchini harvest. It seems like every time I go down to my garden, there are huge zucchinis waiting for me. I have zucchinis in all shapes and sizes and hardly know what to do with them. Here is a snapshot from Thriving Home’s Instagram of me and this MONGO zucchini I just picked.

polly

There are lots of recipes in our index that use zucchini so I want to save and freeze my garden zucchinis for future use.

how to save fresh zucchini

By freezing my fresh, home-grown zucchinis, I can thaw them out anytime I want to make a recipes like these:

Zucchini Flax Seed Muffins

Zucchini Flaxseed Muffins

Zucchini Bread

Zucchini bread recipe

Whole Grain Zucchini Pancakes

whole grain zucchini pancakes recipe

Chocolate Zucchini Waffles

Chocolate Waffle recipe with zucchini

Like freezing green onions, freezing zucchini is super easy.

After washing your zucchini, simply grate up your whole zucchini.

how to freeze fresh zucchini

I found that one medium zucchini ends up being about two cups. I like to freeze my zucchini in two cup increments because that seems to be a common amount for a recipe. It can be hard to break apart once it’s frozen so you don’t want to put a ton into one big bag.

freezing zucchini

Sometimes after  you thaw your grated zucchini, it needs to be drained a bit. Just depends on how much water your zucchini had before shredding it up.

Now when you are have a hankering for some delicious baked goods that require zucchini, just pop a bag out from the freezer and get cooking!

If you’re into freezing, make sure to check out our Freezer Meals page with over 60 freezer friendly recipes!

Comments

1. Thank you for the advice. I think, I will do that. We are blessed with an abundant zucchini crop this year, they grow faster than we can consume them, so I am looking for alternatives.

Plus those zucchini muffins and zucchini bread recipes look good. I happen to have many takers for baked goods in my house. 🙂

We had a TON of zucchini this year as well! I just made some zucchini bread (in recipe index) and it turned out great. Good luck!

2. Our zucchini did well this summer, too! I’ve made 16 loaves of zucchini bread already and have enough shredded for 12 more cups in the freezer. I freeze it just like you do!

3. Pierre says

Hi,

Can I cut up into Zoodles and freeze them? Will I still be able to use them as a pasta replacement after thawing?

I’ve never tried that, so I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer. Sounds like a decent idea though!

• Tabitha Teeter says

I’ve heard you can dehydrate zoodles. Freezing would probably give mush.

4. Lori says

Can you freeze your zucchini whole?

Lori, I don’t think that either of us have tried that. Because of the high water content, I think you’d be left with a mushy mess when you thaw it in order to shred or dice it later.

• brandy says

How long does it last in the freezer?

Up to 3 months for sure, but from my experience it can last much longer. REmember to seal it very tight and press out any air. Air is your enemy in the freezer.

5. Crystal says

Can you store it just sliced too? I have a ton I don’t even know what to do with!

Honestly, I don’t think you’ll like the results of doing that. Zucchini has a very high water content and when unthawed, it will be pretty mushy. I’d recommend using it pretty much for only baking of mixed into another dish after freezing it.

6. Mark says

Crystal stole my question. We’ve had really good luck with zucchini, squash, eggplant, etc. But no way to freeze it to use as just zucchini planks or slices.
    I’m looking at a freeze dryer to get.more out of my seasonal veggies.

Yep! That is why I shred it. I only use it for baking after it’s frozen.

7. Joyce says

Has anyone ever frozen breaded and/or plain baked chips, spears? Also, regarding the frozen slices of zucs, wouldn’t it possible be okay if you were putting them in a casserole, stir-fry, etc.? Anything that is heated?

• Meg says

I made the mistake a few years ago of freezing all of my zucchini and yellow squash as slices. When I thawed them out they were complete mush and disintegrated when I added them to whatever it was I baked them in.

8. Christina says

My question is : after you shred do you have to squeeze out excess water before you freeze it?

I never do and it’s worked fine!