Want to pretend you’re camping one night, without all the bugs and hassle? A super fun recipe from our cookbook, From Freezer to Table (release date: Sept 12, 2017), is a one-pot chicken meal wonder cooked in a foil packet either over the grill or in the oven. My kids think this is the best way ever to eat dinner! And I love the easy clean-up. No pots, pans, or plates needed.
A few nights ago, we were making these foil packs again, and I decided to try doing root vegetables in foil on the grill alongside our main meal. They turned out moist, flavorful, and perfectly cooked. What an easy way to make the whole meal outside!
Going for the camping theme dinner? Why not set up a picnic dinner outside or just some camping chairs in the backyard to eat in? We have a small fire pit that we set up in our front driveway sometimes. Although it probably wouldn’t work well to cook our foil packs in this little pit, it would work to eat them around it! I’m trying that next time.
Note: If you don’t have a grill, the oven works just as well. I’ve included instructions in the recipe for baking.Print
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold and/or red potatoes, washed and diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil (enough to coat all the vegetables)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 pinch dried thyme
- In a large bowl, toss the baby potatoes and sweet potatoes with the oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary.
- Tear off six 1-foot-long pieces of heavy-duty foil or six 2-foot-long pieces of regular aluminum foil and fold them over to create a double layer of insulation.
- Divide the vegetables evenly between the foil pieces, mounding them in the center of each piece. Crimp and seal the foil packets.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Or preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the foil packets on the grill and cook for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and starting to caramelize in spots. Or bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven.
- Be careful when opening the foil packets, as steam will escape. Serve immediately.