All-Natural DIY Drano: Safe and Effective Toilet Declogger

All-Natural DIY DranoIt worked! This all-natural DIY Drano recipe really worked.  Not just once, but it did the trick two different times on my completely clogged toilet. (Yes, we have really crappy toilets–no pun intended.)

Let me tell you, I was one happy home owner upon discovering this simple, cheap, and safe DIY Drano solution!  That’s because a plumber visit costs at least $150 and Drano and Liquid Plumbr scare the snot out of me.  Seriously, listen to the warnings from the Liquid Plumbr company itself about the dangers of its product:

…Never use Liquid-Plumr with other drain-cleaning products. The bleach contained in Liquid-Plumr can react with other chemicals, such as ammonia, to create toxic vapors. Also, use of a plunger can be dangerous, as the product can damage skin, eyes and mucus membranes on contact…Handling lye in any form can cause chemical burns and skin damage, and ingesting it can result in permanent injury or death. (Source)

Do I want a chemical compound like that in my house, near my babies, in our water system?  No spanks.

The best part, besides the fact that this all-natural DIY Drano actually works, is that it only requires two CHEAP ingredients out of my kitchen cabinets. Check out this DIY Drano recipe my 3-year-old could make and administer to said clogged toilet…

All-Natural DIY Drano Recipe

1) Into a clogged toilet filled with standing water, dump 1 cup of baking soda.  Let it sink to the bottom.

2) If the toilet doesn’t have much water, add 1 gallon of boiling water to really get things moving.

3) Next, add 2 cups of vinegar slowly, so it won’t fizz over onto your floor.  Ickkk!

4) Let it sit for a couple of hours and see if the water has drained.  If it has not, let it sit overnight and then plunge, if needed, before flushing.

My Test Results of the DIY Drano

Tonight, I tossed in the DIY Drano and let it sit for a couple of hours.  When I returned, the standing water was gone and the toilet flushed right away!  However, the first time I used this all-natural DIY Drano recipe, I had to let the concoction sit overnight in the toilet.  After a good plunging, it began to work a little better.  I used the DIY Drano one more time, and after a few hours the toilet was completely unclogged.

From my research, it sounds like this is safe and effective to use in kitchen and bathroom sinks and drains, as well.  One tip I read was to hold something over the opening of the drain so the fizz goes down it instead of back up and out.  Obviously, I didn’t do this for my toilet!

May the toilet unclogging force be with you next time you give this DIY Drano a try!

Like this DIY all-natural household product? Try another thrifty, non-toxic solution that’s worked for us!

Make Your Own Non-Toxic Foaming Hand Soap – Incredibly easy and cheap!

non-toxic hand soap

Homemade Laundry Detergent – This will save you tons of money and leave your clothes clean without harmful chemicals.

how to make homemade laundry detergent

All-Natural Homemade Disinfectant Spray – Clean any and all surfaces in your home with this safe and effective all-purpose cleaner.

Like this post? Be sure to sign up for our weekly email updates or follow us on Facebook to get more homemade household product tutorials, healthy recipes, and more.

Photo Credit: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/

Pin It

Like this post? Join thousands of other subscribers and get our weekly newsletter.

Comments

1. Candace says

found this version to unclog drains (bathtubs, etc) courtesy of Molly Cover. I will be trying these!

2. Liz says

Rachel, your family clogs toilets so bad they can’t be plunged to start working again? I’ve never heard of that. I guess you do eat all organic :)

You’re getting marked as “spam” from here on out, Liz…just saying.

3. CC says

won’t boiling water crack the porcelin bowl?

I’ve done it a few times (adding it to the already standing water in there) and had no problem. It mixes with the other water and isn’t boiling at that point. Be careful, though, that you don’t burn yourself!

4. Pingback: 10 Easy DIY All-Natural Household Product

5. Mare says

This works amazingly well in any drain! It seems that when the toilet runs slow and a plunger won’t work it’s because the clog is way down deep in the pipes.

After we had a big party at our house both toilets were running slow. Even the shower stopped draining and water was backing up into the other bathtub! Plunging the shower drain didn’t help. So I poured the baking soda and vinegar down the shower drain and plunged some more. It didn’t seem to be helping but a few minutes later I heard the clogged toilet gurgle and drain. The shower and backed up bathtub drained too! Baking soda and vinegar fixed everything and was way cheaper than any declogger. Thanks!

Wonderful! I’m so glad to hear that it worked for you too! Thanks for letting us know.

• Sally says

I’m about to get the vinegar and baking soda and try this. Right now my toilet won’t flush, but when you plunge it, the water goes down. Must be a partial block way down in it. Crossing my fingers that this works!

6. Pingback: DIY Clogged Toilet | Healthy Holistic LivingHealthy Holistic Living

7. Lisa says

So I tried this remedy on a toilet that wouldn’t go down. We had tried the plunging, no good, just got higher, scooped the water out, turned off the water at the wall, added my ingredients as told and left the room. An hour or so latter my son had me come look at all the black stuff EVERYWHERE! It had blown out of my toilet hit the walls and gone all over my floors, (which I had used 8 towels on already from it flooding over.) I had blown all the water out of the toilet onto the floors, soaking thru my hardwood floors, with this ash like looking stuff left on my floors. My toilet bowl looked like you had dumped ashes in it. I’m not trying this one again.. Beware if you try it!!

I’m so sorry to hear that! That’s awful. We just used this again this past week and it worked like a charm. I let it sit over night. Then, plunged. Didn’t work. Added another round and let it sit for one hour. Plunged and it worked. Do you think a kid flushed it by accident?

8. Erin Joy says

In one of the more terrifying moments of my life, I woke up with a big black spider in my bed. Screaming nonsense, I grabbed a fistful of paper towel, closed my eyes and took several lunging grabs at the eight-legged offender. When I felt brave enough, I picked up the paper towel, saw a leg start to move and folded the towel in on itself. Desperately avoiding the feeling of actually squishing the spider, I ran in a crazed fit trying to figure out what to do as the spider frantically tried to free itself of its Bounty prison. So I did the first thing I could think of – which was, unfortunately to triumphantly throw the wad of paper towel and arachnid into the toilet.
    In a premature sense of triumph, I flushed the toilet, cursing the monster as he swirled to his watery grave.
    If only this were the end of the story.
    In his last attempt to terrify me and ruin my morning, the toilet is now clogged.

I am assuming that most people are using this method to unclog a toilet of human waste, and I was wondering if you knew if I would have any luck using this recipe on a toilet clogged with about three sheets of paper towel (and a terrible, disgusting spider).

Either way, I’m still making it for my bathroom sink! Thank you in advance!
    -Erin Joy

Hi Erin,
      This is hilarious (sorry to laugh about your terror, but the way you wrote it cracked me up). This is probably too late (sorry we were out of town), but this recipe has worked on the mounds of toilet paper my kids have used. So, I’m guessing it couldn’t hurt to try it on paper towels before calling the plumber. The thing I’ve learned after using it many times is that you have to be patient. Sometimes, I let it sit overnight. You’ll know it’s time to try a flush when the water level finally goes way down (leaving room for a flush). A few times it’s taken a couple of rounds, but every time it works so far! Good luck!

9. ekta says

Hello Rachel,

I gave a try to your suggestion to declogg the toilet (clogged due to lots of tissue paper). Didn;t see much result. Should I gave it more shot? will it be safe to do it again.

Thanks for your help!

Gosh I don’t know. Sounds like you might need professional help at this point. Sorry!