This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Skip the messy dredging and breading process of most chicken tender recipes with this easy shake-and-bake one. These Oven Baked Chicken Tenders produce a crispy, yet healthy version that rivals any deep-fried nugget. A great chicken tender recipe that cooks straight from frozen!
Your family is gonna love these Oven Baked Chicken Tenders! Try them with some homemade Oven Fries and Roasted Broccoli for the kid-friendly meal of the century. The Old Bay seasoning lends a peppery New England hint, but even the pickiest eaters will enjoy this recipe.
What’s in the Recipe?
The ingredients are so simple! Here is what you will need to have on hand:
- 1Whole wheat flour
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Old Bay seasoning (omit this ingredient if you don’t want a little spicy-ness)
- Garlic powder
- Chicken tenders
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado oil (or olive oil)
How to Freeze Chicken Tenders
One of the best things about this recipe is you can cook them from straight from frozen!
It has been one of my go-to freezer meals for a long time. It’s so easy to scale up and make multiple batches at once. In fact, we love it so much that we included it in one of our 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions! You can check out how to make 6 meals (including two batches of these chicken tenders) below!
HOW TO FREEZE:
Add the dry ingredients to a gallon-sized freezer bag. Seal and shake to combine.
In a medium-sized bowl, season all the chicken tenders well with salt and pepper on all sides. Then toss with avocado oil or olive oil until coated.
Add several chicken tenders at a time to the bag of dry ingredients. Close and shake well to coat each piece. Place them side by side in single layers inside the bags. Use parchment paper to divide layers, if needed.
Seal, squeezing out any extra air, and freeze flat.
HOW TO PREPARE:
Cook from Frozen:
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a sheet pan in the oven while it preheats, so it gets hot. Spray the hot sheet pan with cooking spray and place the frozen tenders on the pan, making sure they don’t touch. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time. Chicken is done when there is no longer any pink inside or it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
Cooking Thawed Chicken Tenders:
Place the frozen chicken in the fridge and let thaw for about 24 hours. If you need your chicken defrosted sooner, use one of these safe thawing methods. Follow cooking steps as directed in recipe.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Chicken Tenders:
Here are some side dish ideas that would go well with this recipe!
- A dipping sauce like our Killer BBQ Sauce or Honey Dijon Dressing
- Veggie sticks with hummus or Ranch dip, cut up fruit, peas, or microwave sweet potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Ways to Mix It Up:
We love providing different ways to use staple recipes like this. Here are some ways to use your chicken tenders!
- Turn these into Chicken Parmesan! After baking, top each tender with a spoonful of marinara sauce, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese, and bake 5 minutes more.
- Chop up to use in My Favorite Cobb Salad.
- Chop up and serve on a bed of Romaine lettuce. Top with cherry tomatoes, diced red onion, shredded cheddar cheese, croutons, and Honey Dijon Dressing or Balsamic Parmesan Dressing.
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning (omit this ingredient if you don’t want a little spicy-ness)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/3 lbs chicken tenders
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
Make It Now:
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cover a metal sheet pan with with foil for easy clean up, if desired. Place the pan in the preheated oven, so it gets hot.
- Meanwhile, place the flour, Parmesan cheese, Old Bay, and garlic powder in a large zip top plastic bag; shake well to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, lightly season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Then toss with the oil until coated.
- Add several chicken tenders at a time to the bag of dry ingredients. Close and shake well to coat each piece.
- Carefully remove hot sheet pan and generously grease with cooking spray. Arrange seasoned chicken tenders on the pan, leaving room between each one.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until done, turning once halfway through cooking time. Chicken is done when there is no longer any pink inside or it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Serve immediately.
Freeze For Later: Bread the chicken tenders according to Steps 2-4. Flash freeze the uncooked, coated chicken tenders by placing on a baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Once frozen, place tenders in a gallon-sized freezer bag, squeeze out all the air, and place in the back of the freezer until ready to prepare.
Prepare From Frozen: Follow Step 1. Bake the tenders directly from frozen on the hot greased sheet pan at for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time. Chicken is done when there is no longer any pink inside or it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Serving Size: about 2-3 chicken tenders per person
Want More Easy Freezer Meals Like This?
Freezer meals are our specialty! After 10+ years of freezer cooking experience, writing two freezer meal cookbooks, and creating multiple 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions, we have mastered the art of prepping meals for the freezer. Be sure to browse through our 70+ Freezer Meal Recipes for meal prep inspiration!