Taco Seasoning Mix

Homemade taco seasoning mix. Skip the additives and artificial ingredients and whip up a big batch of this FABULOUS natural taco seasoning mix. I'll never go back to buying those expensive little packets again! | Thriving Home

This house LOVES mexican food. Even my two year old will scarf down a whole bowl of spicy mexican soup without any protest. When I sit down to menu plan for the week, it seems like there is almost always something with a mexican flare on it. Most of the recipes I make call for some type of taco seasoning. Up until this point, I simply bought the expensive little packets of taco seasoning without batting an eye. However, as I am growing increasingly aware of what is actually in pre-packaged foods, I realized that my little bundles of taco-joy were filled with some questionable ingredients.

Check out the ingredients in the packet that I usually buy: Maltodextrin, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, spice, monosodium glutamate, corn starch, yellow corn flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide (anticaking agent), natural flavor, ethoxyquin (preservative).

I also hated that I was paying $1-$2 for a single serving of taco seasoning.

I used taco seasoning so much that I finally realized it’d be worth it to make my own batch and triple it for future use.

Turns out I had every ingredient I needed in order to make a big batch of this yummy taco seasoning mix! Isn’t it pretty?!

This homemade taco seasoning mix can be used in recipes like, Chessey Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas, Mexican Soup, Quesadillas, 7 Layer Taco Dip, Easy Taco Salad, Anything Goes Tortilla Soup, and many other recipes in our recipe index.

Taco Seasoning Mix

Combine the following ingredients and store in an airtight container. Double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe!

• 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Happy taco making! (Or if you are our family, you’ll be making even more enchiladas!)

Taco Seasoning Mix

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Ingredients
  • All the taco seasoning ingredients are listed below.
Instructions
  1. Combine the following ingredients and store in an airtight container: ½ teaspoon chili powder, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
Double or even triple this recipe to have on hand for all of your favorite Mexican meals!

Rate this recipe:

Comments

1. Cayla says

Would you have any suggestions for something to use instead if cumin? My husband hates that, says it smells like sweaty armpit. Nice, huh? 🙂

That’s hilarious. My husband feels that way about cilantro. Cumin adds a smoky flavor to the seasoning. Maybe in it’s place try adding a bit more chili powder, since it’s a mix of spices. It will add a little more heat and smokiness to the mix.

• katrina says

Try smoked paprika. It’s awesome, and will add the smokey flavor you’re looking for without the cumin. It is a bit spicy so if you’re not into heat only add a little

Thanks for the tip!

2. Cayla says

Hi! I’ve got another question. My husband likes the store bought taco seasoning with the cheesy flavor. Do you know of anything that can be added to this to add a cheesy flavor? I mean something powdered that can be stored in the pantry mixed right in with the seasonings? Not just adding cheese to what I’m cooking.

Cayla, I don’t think I can answer that one. The cheese flavor is probably a chemical made in a factory, if I had to guess.

• jen says

Nutritional Yeast. 😉

3. Cayla says

Oh! Another question. Does this equal the amount in the store bought packets?

This is a great question. I’ve found that using this entire recipe is very close to an entire packet, but not quite. So I always double the recipe and season according to taste.

4. Thank you!!! Went to make taco salads for dinner tonight…only to find I didn’t have any taco packets!!!! I mean, I always have them, so didn’t bother to check. Ugh! You’ve saved dinner!!!!! And if this tastes as good as I think it will, I won’t bother buying those dumb packets anymore!!!

Great! I used to be a packet junkie but haven’t bought one since I discovered how easy this was. Glad you like it!

5. Nancy says

Hi. I am excited to try this taco seasoning because the packets always give me a stomach ache, but I can’t not eat it because I love tacos. My question is how many teaspoons or tablespoons of the above mix would you add to a pound of ground meat? Thanks.

Since the meat is fully cooked when you add it in, I usually go by taste. My husband and I can use the entire recipe on 1 lb of meat, but that’s too spicy for my kids. So, I think your best bet is to taste as you go.

6. Thea says

Hi ! This recipe looks awesome… I was just wondering if you needed to use a liquid along with the seasoning. Most of the packets also call to use water as well. Thanks! I am looking forward to trying this. The packet ingredients look really scary

That’s a great question. Oftentimes the packets require water because they include cornstarch as a thickener. I usually play it by ear with this recipe and if my meat looks a bit try, I add a little water. It’s not a fine science and requires a little eye-balling and taste-testing. Good luck and thanks for stopping by our blog!

7. Becca says

Just made another triple batch of this!! I split the chili powder amount with chipotle seasoning, and do the same with the paprika/smoked paprika. I typically use 1-1 1/2 Tbsp per pound of meat, with some water (depending on the fat content of the meat, usually ground turkey)

I even made a HUGE batch to send to our family serving as missionaries in Cambodia (we grew up in Texas with Tex-Mex)

8. Becca says

Oh! And I will mix the seasoning and water together BEFORE adding it to the meat.

9. Sarah says

This recipe was great! I omitted the cumin as I’ve never been a fan of it, but it was so great to be able to enjoy tacos with my loved ones without having to set the protein aside so that I could have some. Thank you for this!

That’s awesome. Thanks for the feedback, Sarah.