This fresh, delicious, and super healthy salad (or is it salsa?) works as a light lunch, side dish, appetizer, or snack anytime. Make this on the weekend and eat on it throughout the week. Eat on its own or scoop it with tortilla chips or crackers.
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced (sub: fresh parsley)
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- Add the green pepper, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, onion, tomatoes, corn, beans, peas, and cilantro to a large bowl.
- In a mason jar with a lid, add all the dressing ingredients (lime zest, lime juice, oil, garlic, honey, salt, pepper, and cayenne) except the hot sauce. Shake until combined. Pour over the salad and stir. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use, up to a day in advance. Try to at least let the salsa marinate for 20-30 minutes ahead of time before serving to give the flavors a chance to marry together.
- Right before serving, stir in the avocado (so it doesn’t get brown and mushy ahead of time). Taste and season with more salt, pepper, or hot sauce as needed.
- This will store in the fridge for about 3 days or so and makes for a healthy snack or lunch.