This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
You simply must make our super simple Puppy Chow (or Muddy Buddies). It’s a crowd-pleasing dessert to have in your back pocket. This recipe creates lots of clumps but if you prefer it to be a bit drier, just add more powdered sugar.
Puppy Chow (also known as Muddy Buddies) is one of my go-to recipes for large groups. It comes together super fast, the ingredients are simple, and almost every age loves it!
What’s in Puppy Chow?
This recipe doesn’t win any health awards, but the ingredients are simple and recognizable!
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter
- Rice Chex cereal
- Powdered sugar
How to Make Puppy Chow
Step 1: Set up The Bag
Using either a bag stand or a bowl, set up a gallon-size zip-top bag and pour half of the Chex Mix into the bag.
Melt the Chocolate and Pour it Over the Chex Mix
Over medium-low heat, melt down the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter until it’s smooth.
Pour half of the chocolate mixture over the Chex in the bag you set up.
Seal the bag up and gently smoosh it until all of the Chex is coated.
Add the Powdered Sugar
Once the cereal is coated, add about half of the powdered sugar.
The recipe is written to allow for some clumps to form. If you want more of a drier mix, add more powdered sugar than called for.
Shake the bag until the powdered sugar has coated the Chex pieces. Dump it into a large bowl or storage container.
Repeat the Steps
You’re not done yet! That was only round 1. Set round 1 of completed Puppy Chow aside and prepare for round 2!
Add the remaining Chex and melted chocolate into the same bag. Give it a shake and add the remaining powdered sugar.
I’ve found that I oftentimes need additional powdered sugar when making round 2. Don’t be afraid to add some if it’s too sticky!
How to Store Puppy Chow
Store your puppy chow in an airtight container for 2-3 days on the counter. Or, some prefer to store their puppy chow in the fridge or freezer claiming it tastes better and stores longer (I haven’t tested that).
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 bag Rice Chex cereal (About 10 cups)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (more if you don’t want it clumpy)
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and peanut butter and stir constantly until the mixture is liquefied and well combined. Remove from heat.
- Using a gallon sized plastic bag, pour about half of the Chex cereal into it.
- Drizzle about half of the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal.
- Close the bag and give it a good shake until the Chex pieces are coated in the chocolate.
- Once cereal is coated, scoop about half of the powdered sugar over the Chex, close the top and give it another good shake.
- Add powdered sugar as needed until the Puppy Chow resembles the consistency you want it. Dump that batch into a large bowl or storage container.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients. This stores for 2-3 days on the counter, maybe longer in the fridge.
Oh, and if you’re feeling super naughty, clean up that pan with some pretzels.
Your tastebuds will thank you.
Your jeans, well, not so much.