Puppy Chow (also known as Muddy Buddies) is one of my go-to large group treats. This batch was made for a Super Bowl party we attended but I’ve also found it to be a great treat for birthday parties, play dates, or any other group gathering. (Just be mindful of people with nut allergies!).
It’s super easy to make and a favorite of all ages. But, I must warn you about something.
You think I’m joking.
Consider yourself warned.
If you haven’t had this goodness in your life, here’s what it is: Chex pieces coated in a buttery-chocolate-peanut butter mixture, coated in powdered sugar.
It’s addicting for a reason.
Consume in moderation.
Consider yourself warned (again).
But, despite all my warnings and disclaimers, this is a great recipe to have in your back pocket. It’s cheap, easy, and loved by all. I’ve never measured how much it makes exactly but my guess would be 10-12 cups.
So, a lot.
Here is now to make it!Print
Puppy Chow is one of our favorite homemade snacks. Yummy, sweet and crunchy for the win!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 bag Chex cereal
- 1/2–2/3 bag powdered sugar
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and peanut butter and stir constantly until mixture is liquefied and well combined. Remove from heat.
- Using a gallon sized plastic bag, pour about half of the Chex cereal into it.
- Drizzle about half of the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal.
- Close the bag and give it a good shake until the Chex pieces are coated in the chocolate.
- Once cereal is coated, scoop about half of the powdered sugar over the Chex, close the top and give it another good shake.
- Add powdered sugar as needed until the Puppy Chow resembles the consistency you want it.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining ingredients.
Oh, and if you’re feeling super naughty, clean up that pan with some pretzels.
Your tastebuds will thank you.
Your jeans, well, not so much.