• How to Make a Bow Tie

by Polly on December 7, 2011

A baby shower that I helped throw was themed “Preppy Little Man.” What better decor for the event than little bow ties!

We not only decorated for the shower with these bow ties but we also had quests wear them. They were a hit

Want to know how to make one of these? They are pretty stinking easy!

Start with a 6×6 piece of fabric.

IMG_9337

Fold sides to meet in the middle.

IMG_9338

Now fold those same sides to the middle again. You will have a long skinny piece of fabric. (no picture)

Fold the long skinny piece in half.

IMG_9340

Sew a simple stitch down the unattached side.¬†Flip it inside out to where the seam doesn’t show and center the seam.

IMG_9345

Next, cut a 2×3 inch piece of fabric.

IMG_9346

Fold in half and sew along the unattached edge.

IMG_9348

Center the seam.

IMG_9349

Fold in half and sew edge. You’ll now have a small loop of fabric.

Turn it inside out to where the seam doesn’t show and slide it on your bigger piece of fabric.

IMG_9354

After you’ve wiggled it on there and got it in place, fluff your bow a little and enjoy your bow tie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Jocelyn November 16, 2012 at 7:44 am

Thank you so much for posting this…you just saved me a bunch of time. The way I was going to do it was a lot harder and this was so simple. I had to make 30 bowties for a baby shower, so I truly appreciate this. :)

Polly November 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Glad it could be so helpful!

Elizabeth November 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm

What did you use to pin it on? I have really enjoyed making bow ties out of ribbon. (super easy as well) But, I was using a clip-on earring as my “pin”, and my 3 year old won’t wear it and my 19 month old rips it right off then proceeds to break off the clip. Really looking forward to getting my sewing machine fixed so I can try making these!

Polly November 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm

If I remember correctly, we just used safety pins. Not ideal but it worked for us. Good luck!

Jennifer January 23, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I just made a simple velcro strap to put the bowtie on for my little guy! A rough measurement is 2.5in. by 17in. Fold in half, sew, add velcro! Hope it helps!

Polly January 23, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Good idea!

Kelly August 5, 2013 at 9:42 am

This may be a stupid question, but with the main part of the bowtie simply slid into the center part and not sew in, doesn’t it fall apart? Slide around?
    Thanks!
    Kelly

Polly August 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

Not a dumb question at all. Once you slide the fabric through and “fluff” or spread it out to make the ends of the bow tie, it really doesn’t slide around. This is assuming you are using a cotton fabric of some type. If it were a satin or more slippery fabric, it might be a problem but I didn’t have that problem at all. Good luck!