Healthy Strawberry Shortcake
This post may contain affiliate or sponsored links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This healthier take on Strawberry Shortcake uses 100% whole wheat and real food ingredients but turns out moist and delicious!
3 Tips for Making This Recipe Amazing
The key to this making this Healthy Strawberry Shortcake absolutely delicious is three-fold:
- Use ripe strawberries macerated with just a little sugar. That means you’ll just toss your sliced strawberries in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar and let them sit for at least 30 minutes or longer. This helps to soften and sweeten them a little bit. Feel free to use coconut sugar or turbinado sugar, which are less refined.
2. Make your own fresh whipped cream. Trust me, it’s really not hard and it makes a huge taste difference. (Please don’t ruin this dessert with whatever it is that Cool Whip is…ick!)
3. Use the white whole wheat variety of flour, if you can find it. It makes for a much less dense cake yet is still 100% whole grain.
I must warn you, if you’re accustomed to the classic biscuit or sponge cake versions, this was neither. Instead, this Strawberry Shortcake was a moist, sweet and yet denser cake. It has a pretty strong honey flavor which is tasty but probably not the traditional shortcake you are used to. Not traditional but awesome none-the-less.
Why Is This Strawberry Shortcake Healthier?
Glad you asked! Everything is made with whole food ingredients instead of processed foods that have been stripped of their nutrients. Whole wheat flour, honey (and not too much really), fresh strawberries, coconut oil, eggs, and organic milk and cream make for a healthier, whole foods approach to this delicious dessert.
Now that blueberries are everywhere around these parts, I’m thinking this cake could be great with those, too. Enjoy!
Did you make this? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram at @thrivinghome so we can see your creations and cheer you on!
Healthy Strawberry Shortcake
This healthy Strawberry Shortcake is homemade whipped cream worthy deliciousness your whole family will LOVE.
- 4–5 cups of fresh, sliced strawberries (sub: frozen and thawed sliced strawberries)
- 1–2 tablespoons sugar (you could use coconut sugar or another unrefined sugar)
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (I highly recommend using the white whole wheat variety!)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk (your choice)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (sub: avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Fresh whipped cream
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan. (We love this one that is freezer-safe and oven-safe.)
- Toss the sliced strawberries in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar. Set them in the refrigerator to macerate while you make the cake.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In another mixing bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the milk, honey, oil, vanilla, and eggs. Add this wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir with a spoon just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Allow the cake to cool. Top each serving with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Leave a Comment