My husband begs me to make this soup in the fall. It’s got depth of flavor and interesting textures and is even better as leftovers.
Italian Sausage & Tortellini Soup
- 16 oz. of Italian sausage, crumbled and browned
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (or add to the soup whole and you can pull it out later)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced (about 2-3 medium carrots)
- 1-2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 oz. non-marinated) cans quartered artichoke hearts (liquid and all)
- 1 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes (liquid and all)
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 cans French Onion Soup (or replace with 1 diced sauteed onion and 4 cups broth)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I used 1 box)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package frozen cheese multi-colored tortellini (I used Trader Joe's tortellini)
- 1) In a large stock pot over medium high heat, brown Italian sausage until cooked through. Add seasonings to the sausage. Set aside and wipe out the pan.
- 2) Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Over medium high heat, saute onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 3) Add cooked sausage, artichoke hearts, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, French Onion Soup,broth, corn, and bay leaves to the pot and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- 4) Add tortellini and cook according to package directions just a few minutes before serving.
- 5) Remove bay leaves and serve with Parmesan cheese on top.
- If freezing for later, stop cooking the soup before adding tortellini. To reheat, thaw in the fridge. Then, bring to a simmer on the stove. Add tortellini and cook until done according to package directions.