Sponsored by Frigidaire
Tis the season for a good, healthy slow cooker recipe!
In the midst of heavy holiday meals and baked goods, this Slow Cooker Turkey Chili with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans is…hmmm…refreshing. Can chili be refreshing? Well, not like refreshing in as a cold drink on a hot day. But, it definitely qualifies as a welcomed break from the overindulgent foods of late. It was a winner and will be a regular in our winter menu planning for sure.
This lean turkey chili is not only hearty and absolutely delicious, but it’s also chock full of fiber, protein, and nutrients. The jalapeño lends just the right amount of heat without being overpowering. It’s perfect for a comforting weeknight dinner and then leftovers for lunch the next day.
Be sure to double the batch and freeze one for later (instructions included below). And, let me assure you, your house will smell incredible when you arrive home around 5 p.m. Thank you slow cooker!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, liquid and all
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounce) cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar, diced onions, salsa, thinly sliced green onion, etc.
- In a large pan over medium to medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté diced sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes, until just softened. Season lightly with salt and pepper while sautéing. Add sweet potato mixture to slow cooker insert.
- Turn up heat to medium-high. In same pan, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté the onions, jalapeño pepper, garlic and ground turkey, stirring and breaking up the meat. Cook until meat is cooked through (no longer pink) and onions softened, about 4-5 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper while sautéing. Drain off any grease.
- Add meat mixture and remaining ingredients (chili powder through black beans) to the slow cooker insert, stirring until well combined.
- Slow cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper amounts. Add hot sauce to increase heat at the end, if desired. Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings (diced avocado, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheddar, diced onions, etc.).
Cook according to directions. Let fully cool. Freeze in air tight, freezable container or zip top bag.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm gently on the stove top, in slow cooker on LOW, or in the microwave until warmed through.