This post contains affiliate links. Here‘s what that means.
Sometimes the best thing a mom with young kids can hear at dinner is silence. That’s not to say I don’t love conversation around the table. (In fact, here are some excellent dinner conversation starters.) But, when everyone is too busy eating and enjoying the meal to talk (or complain), that’s music to my ears.
These Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls proved to be an entire family pleaser, especially because it is a pick-and-choose what goes in your bowl recipe. Not only did it taste delicious, but this meal is so simple to pull together and double to freeze for later. Seriously, check out the Freezer Meal Instructions in the recipe below.
(Psst…If you like the idea of saving time in the kitchen and having healthy meals on hand, you might like our cookbook called From Freezer to Table. It’s packed with all our family favorite freezer meals.)
With brown rice, distinctively southwest-flavored grilled chicken, and black beans as the base of this meal, this dinner packs a high protein punch. Veggies like shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados make it a one bowl wonder. Then, top with condiments like plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, salsa, and a squeeze of lime for a Tex Mex taste experience.
You might notice that I made my brown rice in the instant pot. It totally worked! I used this recipe from Our Best Bites. Life seems easier with the Instant Pot around these days. From hard boiled eggs to Chicken and Cheese Taquitos, Polly and I are growing to love what this appliance can do. (Here’s the model we both own.)
Crossing my fingers that you, too, can enjoy a semi-silent dinner over Southwest Chicken Burrito Bowls soon.
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice (I used this Instant Pot recipe)
- 1 batch of Southwest Chicken Tenders, grilled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (I like Romaine)
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup salsa
- 1-2 limes, cut in quarters (squeeze over the top of the bowl)
- Add a scoop of rice, grilled chicken, and beans to a bowl. Top with your favorite toppings. Toss to combine. Enjoy with tortilla chips on the side.
To Freeze: To create a meal kit, place each of the following ingredients in separate quart-sized freezer bags and seal tightly. Then, place all the smaller bags into a leftover grocery sack or a large freezer container in the freezer together.
- 2-3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 batch of uncooked Southwest Chicken Tenders in their marinade
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup salsa
To Prepare From Frozen: Thaw the meal pack in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Grill the chicken until cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F or no longer pink inside). Prepare and set out the other Optional Toppings from the recipe. Build your bowl and enjoy!